Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Corporal Punishment vs Timeout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Archives Search Forum
Recent Topics
ICBM

I Came. I Saw. I Am Legend.

AB Rep: +26

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Corporal Punishment vs Timeout Reply with quote

This thread, http://www.arcadeboss.com/arcade-post-34716.html#34716, got me to thinking about corporal punishment versus timeout. I don't agree with using timeouts to punish a child. What about the rest of you?
neeraffa

1st gamer to reach $1000

England

$ 1958

AB Rep: +334
Aura:

25326 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time-out is not something i've ever tried with my kids.
I've always found taking away a toy they like or no treats (sweets etc) works fine as they seem to remember naughty behaviour will cost them.
bedem15

-->"Beantown"<--

Boston

$ 919

AB Rep: +41
Aura:

147379 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rarely use timeouts either...i think taking things away like neerafa said works fine, but sometimes i need to switch it up....

what im confused about is what corporal punishment has to do with timeout...do you think having a child sit in silence for a couple of minutes to try and calm them down is the same as corporal punishment????

Corporal punishment is the deliberate infliction of pain as retribution for an offence, or for the purpose of disciplining or reforming a wrongdoer
ICBM

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents used corporal punishment. I got a smack on the ass for being insubordinate or lippy. I got my fair share of "lickings" too as a kid. I know some parents use timeouts exclusively for everything. Sometimes having a kid sit in a corner just doesn't work. Taking things away happened to me to as a kid and sometimes that worked, but not always.
bedem15

-->"Beantown"<--

Boston

$ 919

Aura:

147379 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree...i too got my fair share of whoopins as a kid...if you try that now, you get locked up...its hard to find something that consistently works...i tried timeouts for awhile, and then it was like she was immune to them....every once in awhile ill use them...they seem to be a little more effective if you dont use them all the time....my daughter hates them now that i dont really use them
The Big Hobb

AB Rep: -30

53642 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICBM wrote:
My parents used corporal punishment. I got a smack on the ass for being insubordinate or lippy. I got my fair share of "lickings" too as a kid. I know some parents use timeouts exclusively for everything. Sometimes having a kid sit in a corner just doesn't work. Taking things away happened to me to as a kid and sometimes that worked, but not always.

there is nothing wrong with a smack on the ass. how is a kid supposed to learn whats wrong if the only punishment is sit your room with a tv and ps3 for the day. i do that anyway!
KillerCarsS

$ 304

7556 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a kid my parents tried all kind of things, none of which seemed to work. My pride wouldn't let me let them win.
nitestalker

top of the food chain

$ 418

AB Rep: +5

29739 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good smack on the ass helps, but for a sassy mouth nothing works better than soap, not a bar but liquid dish soap is excellent.
ICBM

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tasted soap as a kid many times! Bar soap though and not liquid. Got to the point it didn't bother me. Guess I just didn't learn my lesson then.
The Big Hobb

53642 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitestalker wrote:
a good smack on the ass helps, but for a sassy mouth nothing works better than soap, not a bar but liquid dish soap is excellent.

liquid soap now theres an idea! that would def be worse than bar soap...unless its the bar of soap from the shower
bedem15

-->"Beantown"<--

Boston

$ 919

Aura:

147379 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the liquid would probably be awful...the bar never worked on me when i was little
sassymynahbabe

Honolulu, Hawaii

3456 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to getting the old fashioned lickins from my mom....if it wasn't a whack with her hand...it was a belt.....I can't say that I have ever done the same to my son....but believe me.....its crossed my mind many times....but....his father has instilled fear in him so I don't feel sorry for my son when he crosses over that line....but....I every so often tell my mom....if I can sue her for child abuse today....for what she did yesterday....lol....she says "I'll never be too old to get a smack across the back of my head" and "nobodys gonna tell her she can't do it"....lol
aussie557

Western Australia

$ 49

4976 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've tried time-outs with our 6 year old daughter but it has no effect at all. Being sent to her bedroom or being made to sit in the corner for a few minutes doesn't seem to bother her. Taking away toys/treats/privileges seems to work best with her. I don't believe in corporal punishment though
The Big Hobb

53642 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good spanking is good as long as we dont revert back to the days of the belt or the wooden spoon, that abuse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Archives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: