Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Umpire completely blows the call
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Sports Search Forum
Recent Topics
bedem15

-->"Beantown"<--

Boston

$ 919

AB Rep: +41
Aura:

147379 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Umpire completely blows the call Reply with quote

Last night the Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Gallaraga had a PERFECT game going with 2 outs in the 9th inning....

This is absolutely ridiculous...he was out by a couple feet....and to make it worse, after the game umpire Jim Joyce admitted he made the wrong call
The Big Hobb

AB Rep: -30

53642 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worst call in baseball HISTORY
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

AB Rep: +289
Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Umpire completely blows the call Reply with quote

bedem15 wrote:
Last night the Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Gallaraga had a PERFECT game going with 2 outs in the 9th inning....

This is absolutely ridiculous...he was out by a couple feet....and to make it worse, after the game umpire Jim Joyce admitted he made the wrong call

Yep, that is as bad as it gets! I can't imagine a worse way to lose a perfect game. Sad
Destroyer

DMC

Parts Unknown

AB Rep: +93
Aura:

998147 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel so bad for that pitcher. I know it's all about winning the game but as hard as it is to pitch a perfect game and for an umpire to blow a call and cost you your chance to do something that not many have done......that's gotta suck!!!!!
bedem15

-->"Beantown"<--

Boston

$ 919

Aura:

147379 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its really crazy...i almost feel that MLB should give it to the guy, even though that would probably never happen...i never knew how rare a perfect game actually was....Over the 135 years of Major League Baseball history, there have been only 20 official perfect games by the current definition. For comparison, more people have orbited the moon than have pitched a Major League Baseball perfect game. No pitcher has ever thrown more than one. The perfect game thrown by Don Larsen in game 5 of the 1956 World Series is the only postseason no-hitter in major league history. The first two major league perfect games, and the only two of the premodern era, were thrown in 1880, five days apart. The two most recent perfect games were thrown May 9 and May 29, 2010, just 20 days apart. By contrast, there have been spans of 23 and 33 consecutive seasons in which not a single perfect game was thrown....it would have been the 3rd this year, 24 days apart
ICBM

I Came. I Saw. I Am Legend.

AB Rep: +26

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the umpire some credit for stepping up, going to see the pitcher personally and admitting he made the mistake. Even the pitcher understands the guy is fallible, but respects him for his admitting to his mistake.

How many times in 135 years of MLB have umpires gone to see players and admitted their mistakes?

Give credit where credit is due. Wink
bedem15

-->"Beantown"<--

Boston

$ 919

Aura:

147379 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats all well and good....thats exactly what he should have done, probably on his hands and knees....it just goes to show that the MLB needs to utilize instant replay like other sports...we have the technology so that mistakes like this dont happen, perfect example where instant replay would make the right call where a human wouldn't
Destroyer

DMC

Parts Unknown

AB Rep: +93
Aura:

998147 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bud Selig is at fault here too since for some stupid reason he refuse to use the instant replay. What are they waiting for? It's 2010!!!
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

AB Rep: +289
Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destroyer wrote:
I think Bud Selig is at fault here too since for some stupid reason he refuse to use the instant replay. What are they waiting for? It's 2010!!!

I agree with you there. I have NO idea why MLB doesn't use the instant replay when so many other organized sports leagues do! Confused
Homelessthinker48

Lookin outside gonna make the move

$ 549

AB Rep: +11
Aura:

98484 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO to instant replay.... human element is a part of baseball however in this situation the call should be overturned and a perfect game should be rewarded but Selig said he is not changing it so o well....
bedem15

-->"Beantown"<--

Boston

$ 919

Aura:

147379 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they do use it for home runs...whether or not it was foul, hit over the yellow line on the wall, etc....the MLB should do the same as the NFL, give the coach 2 challenges per game....but then there have to be a lsit of allowable challenges....like, whether a catch for an out is "on the fly" or a "trap", whether a ball put in play is fair or foul, who beat who to the bag on force-out plays, whether a tag was made in time or not on tag-out plays, whether a pitch hit a batter or not...but at the same tim they shouldnt be able to challenge balls and strikes, balks, hits/errors, etc....this situation gives the MLB the perfect oppurtunity to implement replay in more of the game...it would be a shame if they don't
doughtakerSTM

$ 417

Aura:

66216 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes. The video clearly shows the runner out by half a stride. That's the worst call I can remember in MLB since an umpire failed to call fan intererence against the Yankees for the Jeffrey Maier incident in the 1996 ALCS.
The Big Hobb

AB Rep: -30

53642 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they def need instant replay in baseball its not the 1990s anymore folks
Homelessthinker48

Lookin outside gonna make the move

$ 549

AB Rep: +11
Aura:

98484 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find it hard to accept it... umpires would basically be useless
ICBM

I Came. I Saw. I Am Legend.

AB Rep: +26

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ on that HT. Football still have linesman and refs as do hockey. Instant replay can't and won't replace the human element to making calls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Sports All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: