Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
What anti-virus programs do you recommend?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Computing Search Forum
Recent Topics
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

AB Rep: +289
Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-White-Wolf- wrote:

On the two computer's I have now I have AVG Free and Full scan take's 30 minute's

Where as a few year's back the computer I had was old, Full with music, movie's, picture's, game's ect and I would do a full scan once a week it would approx 5-6 hour's.

10 hour's seem's incredible long, Like you said it took your old program much less, I found Norton to be very good and fast.

Was it your FIRST Norton scan, Sometime's the first scan can take alot longer.

Oh, I see; how big was the size of your hard drive and how many GB did you use from that hard drive when the scans took 5-6 hours?

It was not only 10 hours but it was still scanning AFTER 10 hours too! Sad

Yes, it was my first Norton scan AFTER replacing my motherboard.
-White-Wolf-

____-W-W-___

$ 1266

AB Rep: +221
Aura:

1137635 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would amagine the second should be faster.
Mine was 120 GB, And I was using a very large amount of that space, The computer was also quite a few year's old, It would scan a huge amount of file's.

This is why now with the two computer's I have now I keep everything off them for better proformance.
Especially with my brand new computer.

Do you have a lot of compressed files (zip,rar,cab) Question
Compressed file's can take alot longer.

I just went to the Norton site and browsed through the community forum's there for you, And read many post's, From being a Norton user in the past myself I read many post's that said Norton does do a very indepth scan, Norton can/does take longer than some other virus programme's, But I do agree with many post's, Norton is the best.

Your drive is very big ( 500 GB ) But it would depend how much of that is used, Many user's at the forum said there scan's take 7-10 hour's and those user's had large drive's with a lot of file's to process.

Here is the link for you garyoak99
http://community.norton.com/norton/?category.id=nis

I do very regular quick scan's with a full every week.
Norton is very good at detecting trouble before it actually get's on your computer so dont feel the need to do full scan's as often as you think.

Good luck, I hope I've helped in some way, Have a look at the site, You may see something I've missed.
BeaRs0fWaR

$ 2

AB Rep: +4

1900 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u can use anything but i always recommend friends and family to not pay for an anti virus software. instead i just advice them to watch what they are doing with their computer(s) and they probably dont even need an av.

but i use micrsoft security essentials and it works great and lots of people tend to say the same about it.
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-White-Wolf- wrote:

I do very regular quick scan's with a full every week.
Norton is very good at detecting trouble before it actually get's on your computer so dont feel the need to do full scan's as often as you think.

I know; I just think the heuristic virus detection it also uses may be coming up with false positives too.

How often should I do full scans?
joseph3211

3600 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use avast it free/fast i have no proable useing it for more that 3 or 4 years now
akeo

$ 74

AB Rep: +16
Aura:

247538 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of Avira as well, it's only drawback seems to be a lack of email scanner, but my logic is, If I'm not expecting an attachment, don't open it. As for scanning, not slow compared to the 10 hour episode on here earlier, it took 1hr 45min to scan both 1tb hard drives in my system.
I'm also currently trying out Immunet clam av but it doesn't seem as good as it could be but it is very light and unobtrusive. Avira doesn't like it though and keeps saying its a trojan when it isn't.
I never pay for antivirus when the free ones usually do just as good a job.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm
have a look, it might help.
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akeo wrote:
I am a big fan of Avira as well, it's only drawback seems to be a lack of email scanner, but my logic is, If I'm not expecting an attachment, don't open it. As for scanning, not slow compared to the 10 hour episode on here earlier, it took 1hr 45min to scan both 1tb hard drives in my system.

That is certainly impressive but I also read there are ad pop-ups. How often do those appear while you're running Avira? Confused

$ 74

Aura:

247538 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[I also read there are ad pop-ups. How often do those appear while you're running Avira?]

You can specify what warning messages to receive but it is also possible to disable the advert pop ups but I can't remember how, I'll let you know when I find it. The only pop up you don't seem to be able to get rid of is the one you always get after the program updates (once a day) but it always stays as a background pop up rather than actually getting in the way of what you're doing.[/quote]
Super Duper

$ 43

42570 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Macfee, Kaspersky and Norton.

Now I have Norton 360 in all my computers, It works great!
HeatBlast

AB Rep: +1

-889 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me Norton is probably the best one out there, but there are loads more such as Avast and Macfee. Those are my top three best ones.
mariaburg1

$ 31

17290 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bull guard is my virus scanner, good and fast, the computer continues to run fast
jackndanni

United Kingdom

-762 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say to anyone to pay for a good av on their pc. I used to have AVG, the free version which seemed to work fine, or so I thought!
One day I checked my bank statement and noticed a withdrawal not done by me for 800! There was a virus AVG had missed. It sat and waited until I used my debit card which I did for the first time ever to pay 5 to a game site. As soon as I did that the virus (SDRA64) phoned home with my bank details. On the statement the 800 went out a second after my legit 5! Clever stuff really . It took ages to get rid of the virus too and the only one that did get rid of it was Malware Bytes. There is a free version to download. I have Pro Edition which I downloaded from Pirate Bay, cracked! Smile

By the way, I was refunded fully by my bank which I never expected so a happy ending!
Lonny

$ 445

AB Rep: +95
Aura:

232109 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your gonna go free Microsoft security essentials would be my choice.

https://www.avast.com
great and free.

AVAST is great to AVG and Malwarebytes which fails to catch ALLOT of problems.

http://www.webroot.com/ for paid.
great reviews comes from this software.

Me im on linux still and run it as my main OS.
that + common sense and don't click on every thing.

Great Canada - US Host...
akeo

$ 74

Aura:

247538 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Me im on linux still and run it as my main OS.
that + common sense and don't click on every thing.

Gotta agree with that, Lubuntu 14.04.
But when I do run Windows, I find Avira pretty good. Or put another way, I've had it on the laptop for 4 years and never had a virus yet.
Lonny

$ 445

AB Rep: +95
Aura:

232109 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Avira that had a full page pop up when ever the computer was turned on or a simple reboot.
that bugged me.

Other then that for a free piece of software Avira was great.
panda cloud is a great one as well..

Great Canada - US Host...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Computing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: