Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Certificate 18 Movies Rubbish?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Entertainment Search Forum
Recent Topics
Dr. Nürburg

Writer & Musician

Nevernevercreech

$ 184

AB Rep: +130
Aura:

173868 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Certificate 18 Movies Rubbish? Reply with quote

Is it just me or is any movie rated higher than 15 a bit crap? When I look back at all my favourite movies, Empire Of The Sun, Amelie, Gandhi, Keaton's Batman, 2001, 5th Element, Dead Poets Society, The Pianist, Duel, Brazil, The Piano, Tron Legacy, post apocalypse etc... none of them are higher than 15 cert.

Then when I think of any movie higher than 15 it was total rubbish. The only reason a movie is 18 is due to lack of plot and too much sex.

Take 12 Monkeys for example - fantastic - only 15 certificate.

Granted 28 Days Later was also a good film and was indeed 18 certificate - but then again it didn't need to be 18 - a little less gore would have worked - perhaps better. There are some scenes in that movie it could have done without.

In my opinion if a movie needs an 18 certificate then it's probably not worth watching.

I challenge you guys to present me a movie of 18 certificate that's actually any good.

rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

AB Rep: +294
Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there have been a few in my opinion.

1) The Godfather 1972 ~ Box office earnings $268,500,000

2) Alien 1979 ~ Box office earnings $104,931,801

3) Silence of the Lambs 1991 ~ Box office earnings $272,742,922

4) Predator 1987 ~ Box office earnings $98,267,558

5) Die Hard 1988 ~ Box office earnings $140,767,956

These are in no particular order but I think these 5 are very good R-Rated movies that I really enjoyed.

I could also list a few more that were very decent like

Fight Club (1999) , A Clockwork Orange (1971) ,Dirty Harry (1971) ,Apocalypse Now (1979) ,Seven (1995) ,RoboCop (1987) and The Road Warrior (1981) + there are more but I won't list everyone of them.

Any one of these could have easily had some content removed and be rated lower but they were still very good . Just my opinion anyway. But I could also agree with you Dr.Nurburg that there are far too many 18+ movies that are garbage and not worth watching at all.

Last edited by rogbow on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Nürburg

Writer & Musician

Nevernevercreech

$ 184

Aura:

173868 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Godfather was 15...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071562/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099674/

I can't believe Die Hard was 18 - turns out it was...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095016/

... overly certified... we all Know Die hard as a family TV movie - perfect examples that movies needn't be 18.

I think it is mainly where sex plays a large role - then everyone "loses the plot"! lol. A bit of gore ain't too terrible - Apocalypse Now was a very, very good film - but again it needn't have been 18.

In fact that seems to be where I think I'm winning the argument - any 18 rated movie that had any merit or was any good was only mildly 18 and in fact could have easily been "tweaked" to a 15.

I stand my ground.

rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not arguing with you at all. So many movies are over rated nowadays there is stuff on regular T.V. that is just as bad or worse than some of the (R) 18+ movies in my list and yes many of these could have been rated lower for one reason or another.

Thanks for the correction on The Godfather I always thought that one carried an (R 18+) well I was mistaken Embarassed

You asked for any movie with an (18+) rating that was good I only provided a list Razz and I think I named some good ones that have the certificate even though most should not be or didn't have to be rated that high. Wink

I would even go as far as saying a few could have been rated PG-13 in my opinion.

Last edited by rogbow on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Nürburg

Writer & Musician

Nevernevercreech

$ 184

Aura:

173868 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I don't mean argument between you and me - I mean "argument" as in a stand alone public platform of discussion.

Forums are so flamey these days people fear the word "argument" even being mentioned.

So yeh I agree some 18 movies did pull in the crowds including myself - but what I am saying is that those 18 movies that were good, had significantly more to them than that which classified them as 18 - in which case they could easily have been tweaked to a 15.

So when I say that any movie certified as 18 probably isn't worth watching - I mean "probably" - there are some - so still check 'em out of course.

I just don't exactly jump out of my seat when I hear it's 18 that's all.

rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you did not mean argument between you and I. I understood what you meant ...LOL Yes that is so true just because it's rated 18+ does not mean it's worth jumping out of your seat and running to the theater to see it. I think the movie rating system is a little screwy in that aspect. It's kind of like they flip a coin and rate it Rolling Eyes heads it 15 tails it's 18 Confused

Writer & Musician

Nevernevercreech

$ 184

Aura:

173868 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact Apocalypse Now was also only 15...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/

You see! People are brainwashed to think the higher certified the movie the better a movie it is. In turn people see a good movie and instantly remember it as being 18 when it's not.

There is only one movie of 18 certificate I feel excusably had grounding for its "gore" and that is Apocalypto...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472043/

The film is very much a historical seminar into Mayan culture - due to the cultural behaviour of those people and times being so intertwined with their lives it would have been hard to present the story in all its true colours without some disturbing scenes.

It truly took you out of your seat and deep into their jungle world. .

rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually looked into movie ratings and found this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_picture_rating_system

Actually in the U.S. (R rating is 17) so both of those movies had this rating.

The Godfather and Apocalypse Now.

But in the U.K. those are rated 15 . So we talking about 2 different rating systems but, the same movies which is a little confusing without looking at the rating chart.

So basically anything you say is 15 is 17 here Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Entertainment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: