Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
David Beckham plays his last game in the MLS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Sports Search Forum
Recent Topics
Master Of Puppets

Sleep My Friend and You Will See...

$ 114

AB Rep: +174
Aura:

5 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: David Beckham plays his last game in the MLS Reply with quote

Since 2007 the 'Worlds most famous footballer' has been playing for the Los Angeles Galaxy of the M.L.S. His team plays in the league championship today against Houston Dynamo and it will be Beckham's last game with this team. It was a move made to increase the popularity of the sport in North America. Beckham signed a 5 year 32.5 million (US dollar) deal (I'm sure the endorsements put this over 100 million easily). The average league attendance is now greater than the NBA and the NHL. What do you think of this move by David Beckham? Was he in it for the love and growth of the sport or was he in it for the money? Did this move make you more aware of football (soccer) and maybe make a fan out of someone who was never one to start with?

I can't help but think of the similarities of this and when Wayne Gretzky was traded to the L.A. Kings (NHL) back in 1988. That move was supposedly done to broaden the NHL's appeal down south of the border when in actuality (I believe) was monetarily motivated.

Here is an article related to this post...

New York Times Article
msidoh

Philippines and/or Hong Kong

$ 108

AB Rep: +52
Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was a deal that worked well on many levels.

At the time, Beckham was, by European standards, approaching his sell-by date. There were many good reasons why he should make the move to America.

Of course, the money and lifestyle for himself and his family would be main drivers. That is to be expected; we all want to do well in life.

As a consequence of his move, according to the article, "Attendance shot up more than 40 percent for the Galaxy’s away games in his first season" and "Average attendance in the league climbed to a record high this season, surpassing average crowds in the N.B.A. and the N.H.L.". That is quite a feat.

Apparently, even now, Beckham is still encouraging European players to cast a glance at what the U.S. has to offer.

It seems he is a good ambassador for global soccer. Perhaps it was money-motivated in some ways, but he has risen to the challenge of promoting the sport to new spectators, and seems to have made a fine job of it.

I must say, when he first appeared on the UK football scene, I did not like his spoiled-brat attitude; I thought he was going to end up like Paul Gascoigne: amazing talent, full of promise, and ruined by excesses. However, he seemed to get over all that, with a few bumps on the way, and ended up promoting himself, and consequently soccer, to many people who might not have normally enjoyed the game.

I say, good on him. Great talent, scooped up loads of money, made himself famous, and promoted a sport to a nation like none before him. Good-looking guy, too! If I could do a tiny fraction of what he has done before I die, I think I will have achieved something worthwhile.
neeraffa

1st gamer to reach $1000

England

$ 1958

AB Rep: +334
Aura:

25326 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Liverpool fan (he used to play for Man.Utd) I can't wait to see the back of him to be honest.

From the goal in his own half for Man.U and then the famous boot in the head from Alex Ferguson then his move to Real Madrid then to MLS etc etc

I have had to put up with him for nearly 20 years of my life and to top it off my partner thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread! Shocked

He has obviously had a great career and done really well for the MLS,but I have a feeling the drama is not over regarding him - we will still have the 'new club announcement' and then a couple of years after that we will have his retirement from football/soccer.

I say well done for what he has achieved but move on Mr. Beckham - some of us have seen more than enough from you over the years....
Destroyer

DMC

Parts Unknown

AB Rep: +93
Aura:

998147 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neeraffa wrote:
As a Liverpool fan (he used to play for Man.Utd) I can't wait to see the back of him to be honest.

From the goal in his own half for Man.U and then the famous boot in the head from Alex Ferguson then his move to Real Madrid then to MLS etc etc

I have had to put up with him for nearly 20 years of my life and to top it off my partner thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread! Shocked

He has obviously had a great career and done really well for the MLS,but I have a feeling the drama is not over regarding him - we will still have the 'new club announcement' and then a couple of years after that we will have his retirement from football/soccer.

I say well done for what he has achieved but move on Mr. Beckham - some of us have seen more than enough from you over the years....

But he's hot.
mariaburg1

$ 31

AB Rep: +1

17290 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know where beckham is now going to play the Spanish or the English league?
mel2win

Ireland

$ 409

AB Rep: +17
Aura:

39509 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sportsman, i'd still have him in my team.
He is currently training with Arsenal F.C, I cant see him playing in the english premiership as he said he wouldnt play for another english club after Man.Utd.....I can see him going to France.
Master Of Puppets

Sleep My Friend and You Will See...

$ 114

AB Rep: +174
Aura:

5 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess Paris will be the next (and maybe last) chapter to his career. Entire article below...

David Beckham signs with PSG

Nice touch donating his entire salary to a kids charity. +1 to you Mr. Beckham.

Very Happy
mel2win

Ireland

$ 409

AB Rep: +17
Aura:

39509 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knew he would go to France....All the best to him, what a roll model
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Sports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: