Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
A Super-Typhoon... in DECEMBER??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > General Talk Search Forum
Recent Topics
msidoh

Philippines and/or Hong Kong

$ 108

AB Rep: +52
Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: A Super-Typhoon... in DECEMBER?? Reply with quote

I received a phone-call to collect my son from school this morning, in readiness for the oncoming super-typhoon Hagupit/Ruby.

I think it will make landfall later today (Friday) or tomorrow, and I think we are in for a wet and windy weekend! Let's hope casualties and damage are kept to a minimum...

But a typhoon (let alone a SUPER-typhoon!) in December is quite unusual. Typhoon season should be May/June to September, perhaps into October.

Oh well, wish us luck! Time to batten down the hatches! Neutral

This site has a nice clip to show us what's going on:

Weather.Com
rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

AB Rep: +294
Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this on the news and was like damn msidoh going to have a rough weekend Shocked I hope you and your family keep safe during this super storm. Icon_pray

$ 108

Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rog, I appreciate the thought. Cool
I'll let you know how it pans out in a day or two!

By the way, I like the Frosty card sig - I actually laughed at that one! Icon_loln
rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msidoh wrote:
Thanks rog, I appreciate the thought. Cool
I'll let you know how it pans out in a day or two!

By the way, I like the Frosty card sig - I actually laughed at that one! Icon_loln

Your Welcome msidoh Yes you let us know how everything is in a day or so Very Happy

Thanks I thought I would change the signature to something silly for the holidays. Glad you got a laugh out of it Icon_beerchug

$ 108

Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the news. Typhoon Hagupit has made landfall and is "...scheduled to pass just south of Manila on Monday..."

Haha... guess who lives "just south of Manila"! Shocked It should be no problem for us in our very solid house, but spare a thought for the less fortunate people in the storm's path this weekend.

Anyway, loosely connected, here's a great version of that blues classic "Stormy Monday" (it's a pity they cut it off half way through!):

akeo

$ 74

AB Rep: +16
Aura:

247538 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's hoping you'll be okay then msidoh. Hopefully it's not going to cause too much damage and disruption.
msidoh

$ 108

Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks akeo Smile

We normally get several of these every year throughout the summer, so I don't usually bother to comment on them, but this one is exceptionally late in the year, and I thought was worth mentioning.

However, looking at the latest satellite images, it seems the typhoon is dying fast. Perhaps it will be just be wind and rain by the time it reaches us.

In which case, instead of watching the "Stormy Monday" video above, we should be looking at this one: Rolling Eyes

Let's hope so, anyway...
rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems as though the storm did not weaken as much as anticipated and is still wreaking havoc in some areas.

$ 108

Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogbow wrote:
Seems as though the storm did not weaken as much as anticipated and is still wreaking havoc in some areas.

Yup, you're right... that was a very wet 24 hours!

The storm passed right over us; there wasn't too much wind, thank goodness, but boy did it rain!! Came down like stair-rods for 12 hours straight!

Amazingly, no sign of any flooding in our immediate vicinity, but I'm sure other areas around us weren't so lucky. It is still raining steadily even now, but I think the worst of it has passed now!

Let's hope the typical Philippine winter will resume soon i.e. blue skies, gentle breezes and temp around 29c (84f). Wink
rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is good news msidoh that you didn't get high wind,flooding and storm surges. I saw areas were not quite as lucky but, at least it was not like Typhoon Haiyan.

They say in the center of the storm is the calm I guess you were lucky it passed right over you then Idea thus sparing you from the high winds.

Yes I hope your weather turns back to normal for you the rest of the year Very Happy

$ 74

Aura:

247538 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're okay and don't have to do a major clean up operation, and you can keep your winter weather. Most people think I'm strange but I like the cold wintery weather.
msidoh

$ 108

Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it's much appreciated. Cool Gorgeous weather today, by the way!

akeo wrote:
...and you can keep your winter weather. Most people think I'm strange but I like the cold wintery weather.

No, not strange, but henceforth thou shalt be known as: "akeo, Lord of the Penguins" Laughing
akeo

$ 74

Aura:

247538 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[henceforth thou shalt be known as: "akeo, Lord of the Penguins" ]

I like that one. It makes a change from my kids saying I'm half polar bear and half yeti. Even now they're telling their kids that I'm grandad yeti, not that they understand what anyone's going on about. The oldest grandson isn't even 1 til Saturday.
msidoh

$ 108

Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akeo wrote:
The oldest grandson isn't even 1 til Saturday.

Happy Birthday to your grandson! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > General Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: