Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Weird translation of Skype/Microsoft TOS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > General Talk Search Forum
Recent Topics
msidoh

Philippines and/or Hong Kong

$ 108

AB Rep: +52
Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Weird translation of Skype/Microsoft TOS Reply with quote

Has anyone else received the email about the new Skype/Microsoft TOS?

I received my email in Chinese (huh?), which gmail kindly auto-translated for me. Here are some "interesting" snippets from that 'translation' (I kid you not...)

Publicly transparent
We make use of direct expression mode, so the use of terms and privacy rights declaration more concise Easy to understand. In addition I have the right to privacy important to put the whole Information at one, then you are also not used to between a number of documents to be returned back to be able to understand the whole appearance. After over sinks total, Information architecture will chaff.

Erm... ouch?

(But here's where the 'translation' gets really interesting..)

Simple and easy sex
Many customers use a variety of Microsoft services, and therefore need to agree to the use of multiple models strip and Right to privacy policies. To simplify the use of a variety of service processes, we will exchange these documents set in a since become covered large portions of our consumer services of a single and unified service contracts The Right to privacy statement.

Erm... right. I have no idea... Laughing
rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

AB Rep: +294
Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... weird are you sure that isn't some stupid spammer that just sent out some crap ? Scammers and spammers are known for these types of e-mails with a bunch of nonessential grammar, spelling errors or pointless mumbo jumbo and such.

I did not receive anything like it Confused

$ 108

Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me wondering, rog, so I did more digging.
It turns out it really is an email from Skype, telling us that Microsoft is basically grouping all their agreements for online services under one umbrella w.e.f August 1.

I found the highlights in this URL, which can be compared to the crazy translation, e.g. "Transparency" becomes "Publicly transparent":

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/faq.aspx

It's interesting how the Chinese characters, when taken literally by the translating engine, can completely change the meaning.

It reminds me of the old yarn my brother told me when I was a kid, about a new English/ Russian/ English translating machine:
The well-known phrase "Out of sight, out of mind", when translated into Russian is (something-or-other), which when translated back into English becomes "Invisible idiot". Razz
rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok msidoh I wasn't sure and you never know for sure these days. Pretty strange they sent it in Chinese though as most companies are pretty good about sending TOS agreements in the proper language. Well that link makes a little more sense I guess that's what happens when trying to translate a difficult language...lol

$ 108

Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm used to it by now. Smile I receive messages in Chinese fairly regularly. I think it is due to one of two things (or perhaps both?)

1) When I first created my Gmail account (15 years ago?), I was living in Hong Kong. Although I updated my details to the Philippines a few years ago, I still notice sometimes Gmail logs me off through a ".com.hk" server.

2) MS Windows does not have a separate Time Zone for Philippines, which is GMT+8:00. Therefore, I use another GMT+8:00 which is listed as "GMT+8:00 Beijing, Chongging, Hong Kong, Urumqi"

Maybe those are the two things that make the senders serve me Chinese dishes!

Just the other day, I received a viewing suggestion from Youtube which consisted of six video links... all of them for Chinese videos!

And on another note... when I try to look at a blogspot/blogger page, the website thinks it is being very helpful/clever by showing me all the menus in Filipino. e.g. Higit Pa - Susunod na Blog» - Bumuo ng Blog - Mag-sign in
Aaargh!! Rolling Eyes
rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I wasn't thinking or I did not think about the fact that you have been around the block a time or 2 and might have or did have a foreign account at one time.

Well, than that makes sense as to why you got that e-mail. But, if you updated your information and such then it should not happen but, then again computers only do what they are told too so it seems someone needs to fix a minor bug to keep that from happening again.

At least it's just a silly e-mail in Chinese and not a notice from your bank saying all funds are now transferred from your account to China Shocked Razz

$ 108

Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogbow wrote:
... and not a notice from your bank saying all funds are now transferred from your account to China Shocked Razz

Nah, I got that email last month Icon_jaw-dropping
Just kidding!
rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msidoh wrote:
rogbow wrote:
... and not a notice from your bank saying all funds are now transferred from your account to China Shocked Razz

Nah, I got that email last month Icon_jaw-dropping
Just kidding!

^ Icon_rofltoo LOL

I knew you was only kidding Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > General Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: