Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Facebook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Archives Search Forum
Recent Topics
ICBM

I Came. I Saw. I Am Legend.

AB Rep: +26

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Facebook Reply with quote

I have a Facebook account and when I saw this article I had to read it. I find what it says to be true. Too bad......

Taken from http://ctv.ca.

Death by boredom -- the slow demise of Facebook

Josh Visser, CTV.ca News Staff

In the 1870s, the town of Deadwood, South Dakota experienced a gold rush and quickly became home to gunfighters, gamblers, cussin' and many a woman of ill repute. Now, Deadwood is just a tourist trap in boring ole' South Dakota.

In many ways, that's exactly what's happened to the social-networking website Facebook.

Facebook's formative years (2003-2006) started out much like the Wild West. Open, kind of barren, but people were free to do as they pleased without much worry of repercussion.

Ridiculous status updates, embarrassing photos, nasty late-night wall postings on an ex's wall following a "user is now single" update. With the creation of the news feed in September 2006, which allows a user to see what other users are doing, it was like picking up a newspaper in the morning and every article was a gossip story about someone you knew.

It was awesome.

But slowly, Facebook has evolved into something else. Something that manages to take up much more of my time, yet bores me in a way it never did before.

Here's how it happened.

Phase 1: Fear your neighbours! Then gentrify!

When the media discovered Facebook (scholars suggest this was sometime in late 2006 after it was mentioned on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"), there was one nearly homogenous response in reporting - "lock your doors, hide your face, evildoers want your information!"

After being scared about their privacy, users started clamping down on the way they allowed their information to be seen. The news feed has slowly been reduced to a shadow of its former self, with many users choosing to severely limit the feature.

At the same time, the website skyrocketed in popularity to the point where both your mom and your boss were on it. Suddenly, those pictures of you being held by the ankles while you're performing a keg stand didn't seem like such a smart thing to post.

Worst of all, were all the reported cases of employers scouting out Facebook for the dirt on potential employees. While Facebook profiles are always an idealized version of a person, soon people began setting their profiles to look like a bland virtual-resume -- just in case.

This is not to say there's not some fun, risqué stuff on Facebook. There is. But with the tent growing larger and larger, it's no surprise that people have become more tentative and conservative with what they post and how they act.

Phase 2: Every day is exactly the same

Every Facebook user over 25 knows (but won't necessarily admit to it) that the best part of Facebook is "catching up" with someone you haven't seen in years.

Seeing their profile for the first time, with its orgy of photos (are they still hot?), information on marital status, jobs and children -- well, that's as good as Facebook gets.

Eventually though, you are going to run out of people that you will want to glean your years apart with a check of their profile. Seeing that a high school friend travelled in India in 2003, dated a German while touring Ghana in 2005 and got a hideous tattoo - that's free entertainment worth my time.

But after that initial "catch-up", you are left with the day-to-day boring minutiae. A sample:

* Tim is going to the shower, then bed.
* Paula is tanning.
* Sarah is loving her new red kitchenaid mixer!
* Jen is without power and cable at home.

I already have my own perfectly mundane life to deal with, I don't need to know yours.

Dr. Robin Dunbar, an Oxford University anthropologist has said that the brain's cognitive power limits the size of a person's (real-life) social network to about 150 people. That sounds reasonable.

Yet, I have one legitimately popular friend with 922 Facebook friends at last count. I also have another "friend" that everyone I know despises yet has nearly 1,000 friends. This is data Malcolm Gladwell should write a book about.

Both of my "friends" have massive networks, but must be inundated with so much data it's utterly pointless for them. They might as well be logged into someone else's account because there's no way they are interested in the majority of people on their account.

You just can't care about your massive amount of Facebook friends, your brain won't do it.

Phase 3: Useful to the point it's work

This week it was reported that social networking has surpassed email in terms of worldwide popularity, with Facebook being the most popular of the social networking sites.

This is not surprising, as Facebook has an email system that simplifies getting in touch with people, as well as a built-in instant messenger.

Facebook has also become the go-to planning calendar for social groups of a certain age, with its Event interface making it easier than ever to plan a social gathering.

Add in socially-conscious groups to join, bands and TV shows I need to become a "fan" to promote, too many applications to count (I'm especially looking at you Scrabble!), birthday wishes to give and a quick log-in to Facebook can feel like the start of a marathon.

You know when you put off logging in to Facebook, the same way you put off taking out the trash, that's not a good sign for something that's supposed to be entertainment.

Somewhere along the line, Facebook stopped being a place to "creep" your ex-girlfriend's profile and became a semi-useful technology you can't live without.

The wild Deadwood of U.S. history eventually became Deadwood, the town that's a National Historic Landmark. Prettier, more useful and a lot less crazy - truly, the inverse of the mores of its founding.

I'm afraid that's the same fate awaiting Facebook. A place where people will stop by to say, "It used to be fun here."
Dr. Nürburg

Writer & Musician

Nevernevercreech

$ 184

AB Rep: +130
Aura:

173868 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Me thinks the writer wants something more from it.

I see his point. But Facebook isn't dead. Far from it. It has one irrefutably useful function - to stay in touch or to get back in touch with old friends.

I don't need anything more from it than that. If everyone had a Facebook account we could all find each other again. You can bet your life you could spend ten thousand years trying to get back in touch with them by any other means.

I use it to put my face up there, and message people I'd like to get back in touch with. Hell, one of my friends had moved to Australia... I didn't know anyone else who could tell me where she was to... but after searching for her on Facebook we are now back in touch!

Who needs all the apps and status crap? Just an account to message someone with. That's all you need. And that's what Facebook gives.
ICBM

I Came. I Saw. I Am Legend.

AB Rep: +26

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Facebook account. However, most of the people I lost touch with over the years don't. I have family members who have accounts, but they don't use them. My brother in law has one that he uses for a lot of random stuff. It's one of the last sites I check. Usually not much worth looking at. I'll go days without adding something and then WHAM! I'm on there all the time for days at a time. Could my life go on if Facebook died? You bet.
Lonny

$ 445

AB Rep: +95
Aura:

232109 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a account their myself. just like myspace. i very rarely log in. dont know why i create accounts dont really use them. skype , icq and emails works just fine for me. foe all my contacts.

Great Canada - US Host...
KillerCarsS

$ 304

7556 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, c'mon, what is it ?
People don't have to put/write stuff on Facebook if they don't want to and they can't complain that someone writes in the status some live update.
I don't understand what the writer's problem is.

I have Facebook and yes for over a year now I check it few times a day and I go to school now, and definitely most of the people I go to school with have Facebook. And it's fun to communicate through it in all sort of ways. And no, it doesn't get boring and so what if it will, no one did anything wrong. Though after a year I'm still not bored with it, nor are most of the people I know who have an account.
Eagle_Kiwi
Eagle Eye

Dunedin, New_Zealand

$ 78

AB Rep: +28
Aura:

87185 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, ICBM, for the interesting and thought-provoking article. . I've now added it to my own page of various items about Facebook ( http://delicious.com/Eagle_Kiwi/facebook ).

I must say from my perspective among my online friends, I'd agree. . Basically 3 olr 4 years ago "social networking" was flavour of the month, or year, but perhaps about a year ago they passed their peak - the novelty has worn thin.

I guess I'm with Lonny - IM programs like Skype, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, Paltalk, etc - THOSE are still the ideal way to keep in contact with online friends.
amoneymaker

AB Rep: -1
Aura:

-1180 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a very interesting article ICBM. I wonder what it would be like without facebook though.
the young one

38 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like face bok
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

AB Rep: +289
Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Facebook Reply with quote

ICBM wrote:

You know when you put off logging in to Facebook, the same way you put off taking out the trash, that's not a good sign for something that's supposed to be entertainment.

Somewhere along the line, Facebook stopped being a place to "creep" your ex-girlfriend's profile and became a semi-useful technology you can't live without.

I'm afraid that's the same fate awaiting Facebook. A place where people will stop by to say, "It used to be fun here."

These three paragraphs probably sum it up best since if one wants to be entertained; one should watch YouTube rather than go to Facebook. Was Facebook really meant to be a crazy place where guys creep their ex-girlfriend's profiles after all? Confused

It all depends on your definition of "fun."
dirty7732

$ 20

AB Rep: +1

10124 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

facbook is not fun at all I totally agree. The best thing it has to offer are some of the applications and seeing friends that you haven't talked to in years. However, you also see the people that you want nothing to do with and that's no fun either. Facebook needs something else, but I don't like social networking sites anyway I have my friends right here with me.
amoneymaker

Aura:

-1180 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when people stalk you on facebook. It is so nerve racking.
What else could facebook offer to its members though?
KillerCarsS

$ 304

7556 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amoneymaker wrote:
I hate it when people stalk you on facebook. It is so nerve racking.
What else could facebook offer to its members though?

Lol what? You serious? What else it has to offer? You got to be kidding.

And yo udon't have to put anything you don't want others to see.
The Big Hobb

AB Rep: -30

53642 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the article also mentions something about people over 25 and their main use to catch up with old friends

facebook was made by college kids for college kids to meet new friends at their school and stay connected with friends after high school, once college is over and a person "grows up" facebook and myspace and all that is pretty useless but for younger people its great
amoneymaker

Aura:

-1180 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook has its up and downs. If you don't like it then don't use it, simple as that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Archives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: