Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Posting this month....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Archives Search Forum
Recent Topics
ICBM

I Came. I Saw. I Am Legend.

AB Rep: +26

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Posting this month.... Reply with quote

Well, I've decided that I won't put much effort in to the POTM contest. I'd rather win it by having more posts with substance and quality than 200+ posts in the various "game" threads that are alive and well here. Anyone can post in them, but it takes a person with a passion for discussion to truly appreciate the purpose of the forums and the contest in which it was derived. Thanks to everyone who makes those threads and takes steps to keep them alive by adding those well thought out replies. To the others...... Rolling Eyes
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

AB Rep: +289
Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree; it's too bad one specific individual more or less ruined the POTM contest. I guess we'll be seeing a record number of 300+ posters this month. Rolling Eyes
ICBM

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

80% of them in the Thread Games though. I guess he'll live in infamy though. Afterall, he'll be the reason we have forums where your posts don't count for the POTM contest.
KTWORLD

JOIN THE MOVEMENT OR GET LEFT BEHIND!!!

30170 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't understand is what is really the point of making post after post; i mean does someone really value who has the most posts, esp if the are garbage. Now I like to actively participate in the thread games so I have a bunch of posts but everyone near the top all gets the same $10 so what difference does first and fourth place really make Laughing
ICBM

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! There's nothing wrong with the thread games. I've enjoyed them immensely over the years. It's sad that soon, I fear, we'll be seeing the end of an era on ArcadeBoss where due diligence and self-policing has been replaced by Big Brother. All for the sake of one person who took the play away from us. Mad
Twi$ter

México, D.F.

$ 405

AB Rep: +17
Aura:

204483 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promise to post less
Wickuzo

Belgium

5542 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i understand the problem, i will no longer post on thread games.

i will only post on threats that interest me.

i has never been my intension to create problems on this site.

Wink
Eagle_Kiwi
Eagle Eye

Dunedin, New_Zealand

$ 78

AB Rep: +28
Aura:

87185 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICBM wrote:
Well, I've decided that I won't put much effort in to the POTM contest. I'd rather win it by having more posts with substance and quality than ...
I confess I've chosen to not even look at the POTM table this month, as it's become a farce.
(Personally, I'm really concentrating on BOTM for a change. Twisted Evil )

garyoak99 wrote:
... one specific individual ...
Guess I hardly ever look in those thread games anyway - I've no idea who this ONE person is (and don't wanna know!).
I feel there are a number of users around who seem to post just for the sake of upping their post count.

KTWORLD wrote:
... the point of making post after post; ...
Sadly the 'point' is $$$ - by posting plenty one may not become famous or even popular, but one MAY get 'rich' Sad

Possible Solutions:
    -1- (Suggested by Joker I think, elsewhere). Kill the POTM contest, prizes going instead to BOTM.
    oops, wasn't Joker - was Twi$ter
I think this is a kneejerk over-reaction. The whole idea of forum discussion, mainly relating to the games and/or players here, is something that sets AB above many many game sites that really have only "games".
I guess POTM and the prizes system were instituted to encourage this very thing.

-2- (Implied by ICBM, above) - Make certain threads ineligible for POTM
DO users play thread games just for 'fun', OR are $$$ near the front of their minds ? Wink
I guess noone will know unless/until such a system is tried. Surely no harm at all in trying it somewhere, then seeing if indeed the posts there do dwindle away to nothing, or not. Wink

-3- Weed out constant offenders
Seems poor old ICBM does plenty, but noone can hold back an avalanche. Where are the other Moderators, I've often wondered. There appear to be 7, but it seems ICBM is the only one 'policing' anything. Does he need/want more help ?

-4- oops, I can't think of any other choices! Sad (Can YOU?)

-5- (Suggested by Danilus) Limit posts, e.g. 1 per thread per day per user

Last edited by Eagle_Kiwi on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Dr. Nürburg

Writer & Musician

Nevernevercreech

$ 184

AB Rep: +130
Aura:

173868 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are already discussing excluding certain threads or forums from the poster of the month contest.
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

AB Rep: +289
Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle_Kiwi wrote:
I've chosen to not even look at the POTM table this month, as it's become a farce.

Guess I hardly ever look in those thread games anyway - I've no idea who this ONE person is (and don't wanna know!).
I feel there are a number of users around who seem to post just for the sake of upping their post count.

-2- (Implied by ICBM, above) - Make certain threads ineligible for POTM
DO users play thread games just for 'fun', OR are $$$ near the front of their minds ? Wink
I guess noone will know unless/until such a system is tried. Surely no harm at all in trying it somewhere, then seeing if indeed the posts there do dwindle away to nothing, or not. Wink

-3- Weed out constant offenders
Seems poor old ICBM does plenty, but noone can hold back an avalanche. Where are the other Moderators, I've often wondered. There appear to be 7, but it seems ICBM is the only one 'policing' anything. Does he need/want more help ?

Yes, the Posters of the Month contest has indeed become a farce this month.

Too late! The aforementioned person has already confessed in this very thread before this post! Rolling Eyes

I like the 2nd and 3rd solutions as quoted above! The second one could be implemented quite easily while the third could be more difficult given some of the moderators appear to be quite busy!
ICBM

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm tired of asking the others, but thanks for the sympathy. Wink It's appreciated. Cool
Danilus

$ 22

5094 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EK thoughts on the suggestion:

1) Taking away PM will destroy the forum
2)The no credit for game threads is a good idea...
3) Weeding out the offenders is plain silly; I bet people haven't actually told them to stop spamming (I've only seen one thread where they've been talked to direct)

My idea could be of use here: Posting limitation...only one post in game thread/day
ICBM

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Weeding out the offenders is plain silly; I bet people haven't actually told them to stop spamming

Weeding out spammers can be done. You just need a moderating team to do it. One person can't do it all. Even I get tired of posting the same "DON'T SPAM." messages. I know Mr Jepps Se does what he can to help out, but we really need a moderating team who has an interest in making things work and doing what is needed to move the site forward. Anyway.....
Twi$ter

México, D.F.

$ 405

AB Rep: +17
Aura:

204483 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as mentioned in other topics and by several players including me, Eagle_Kiwi would be a great moderator, and could help you ICBM. Maybe it's time to make that decision. I don´t think anyone in this site that doesn´t agree. But we can open a new thread to discuss this matter or AB and moderators do so directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Archives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: