Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Water Ice Found On... Mercury!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Sci Tech Search Forum
Recent Topics
Dr. Nürburg

Writer & Musician

Nevernevercreech

$ 184

AB Rep: +130
Aura:

173868 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Water Ice Found On... Mercury! Reply with quote

They have indeed! Check it out...

http://www.withoutcapricorns.net/forum/starrynight/Water-Ice-Found-On-Mercury.html

Last edited by Dr. Nürburg on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
msidoh

Philippines and/or Hong Kong

$ 108

AB Rep: +52
Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dr. Nürburg, that's very interesting!
Fullmoon

$ 51

AB Rep: +78
Aura:

1681 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Mercury does not have the right conditions for proliferation living organisms,the discovery is extremely important!
For explain the birth of life on Earth,it was hypothesized a similar mechanism: transported molecules from celestial bodies and finding a fertile environment,would evolve, then, in the higher forms that we know!

really interesting Surprised thanks Dr.Nurburg
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

AB Rep: +289
Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Ice Found On... Mercury! Reply with quote

Dr. Nürburg wrote:
They have indeed! Check it out...

I like the amount of ice that they discovered too:

Quote:
The amount of ice is astounding—something on the order of 100 billion to a trillion metric tons. Or, as David Lawrence of the MESSENGER Mercury mission team says, the rough equivalent of layering Washington, D.C. with 2 to 2.5 miles of ice.

Imagine all the thirsty people that could satisfy! Shocked

Writer & Musician

Nevernevercreech

$ 184

Aura:

173868 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, at this rate there could be more planets in our solar system that harbour water than there are that don't.

So far:

Earth
Moon
Mercury
Mars
Phobos
Europa

It is quite possible also that other moons like Europa, which suffer internal friction from their big brother's gravitational pull, could also harbour water.

So take your pick.

Last edited by Dr. Nürburg on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Nürburg

Writer & Musician

Nevernevercreech

$ 184

Aura:

173868 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact I was surprised to find out that there is actually another planet in our solar system that probably has water - I mean like an actual planet near our own planet Earth.

It is the Dwarf Planet Ceres.

Recently upgraded from a very large asteroid, Ceres resides between Mars & Jupiter - that's actually surprisingly closer (at least for me) than expected for another planet.

Just take one look at it! Look like anything?

Apparently it even has a thin whispy atmosphere of probable water vapour, (probably creating the bluey mist in the image), it has both a rocky and icy surface, and a surface temperature of about -38 °C.

Scientists also believe that it may have a liquid ocean beneath its surface, heated by thermal vents, although this is not known for certain.

Primitive life at least can survive and even thrive at these temperatures - an adapted alien polar bear with cavernous dwellings may too... so in an alternative evolutionary environment... who knows what lives here.

Microbial life has been found to not only breath but rebuild itself out of arsenic.

So for me - Europa & Ceres are looking great. In fact at this rate most places in the solar system seem to have water in some form or another and so in reality the whole system is effectively up for grabs!

Moreover there is good news... there is already a spacecraft on its way, Dawn, expected to arrive in February 2015.

This Hubble image is all the information we currently have on this dwarf planet... it is therefore begging for further investigation.

I am looking forward to 2015 and also 2016 when Juno arrives at Europa... they will be two of my most exciting years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Sci Tech All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: