Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Countries & Cultures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > General Talk Search Forum
Recent Topics
Tenchithepimp

New England

$ 119

AB Rep: +25
Aura:

145345 Credits

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Countries & Cultures Reply with quote

I've noticed that there are people from many different nations here. I think it could be fun to talk about each other's countries and cultures. Of course there is no such thing like "People of that nation do x" or "People of nation x are friends with people of nation y". It's rather about individuals.
Nevertheless I often hear stereotypes or weird stuff about other countries or simply want to know a thing or two about a certain country.
So here one can ask people about their countries and tell something about your own.
Fullmoon

$ 51

AB Rep: +78
Aura:

1681 Credits

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree with you..congratulations to you...I think it's an interesting topic and fun Very Happy

Ok..I start..
it is true that Americans do not have good taste in clothing?
I've heard that only casual dress....Well if that is so I personally prefer an American that goes dinner in jeans and T-shirt compared to an Italian who goes to get a drink at the bar in a suit and tie Wink

careful Tenchi,this is for you....
it is true that the inhabitants of New England (which has important universities) are seen as intellectual?

I am Sardinian...it is said that the Sardinian women are very beautiful, with prosperous breast...Well is not a stereotype ... it's the truth .. it is so!!
Maybe take advantage of this topic to talk a little bit of Sardinian culture....
Tenchithepimp

New England

$ 119

Aura:

145345 Credits

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans have horrible taste in clothing in my opinion at least 80% of us this is true. I'd like to think for the most part people of New England are considered intellectuals.
Lonny

$ 445

AB Rep: +95
Aura:

232109 Credits

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenchithepimp wrote:
Americans have horrible taste in clothing in my opinion at least 80% of us this is true. I'd like to think for the most part people of New England are considered intellectuals.

what really 80% blah. now if your talking about todays crap these people wear then yea. in my day and sometimes today I'd put the smack down on New England fashion ware. East Cost and abroad.

Great Canada - US Host...
Tenchithepimp

New England

$ 119

Aura:

145345 Credits

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonny wrote:

what really 80% blah. now if your talking about todays crap these people wear then yea. in my day and sometimes today I'd put the smack down on New England fashion ware. East Cost and abroad.

I was talking about "todays crap" and nothing about New England fashion just American fashion in general. Fullmoon had asked me if people from New England are considered intellectuals I guess you could better answer that since your not from NE.
Lonny

$ 445

AB Rep: +95
Aura:

232109 Credits

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenchithepimp wrote:
Lonny wrote:

I was talking about "todays crap" and nothing about New England fashion just American fashion in general. Fullmoon had asked me if people from New England are considered intellectuals I guess you could better answer that since your not from NE.

Yes I can answer that since I have family from north eastern mainly New Hampshire and Rhode Island areas and everything in that part of the region is at least 10 yeast behind in style and the way people act compared to the West Cost always been that way since it's a bit slow paced in those parts.

Great Canada - US Host...
Tenchithepimp

New England

$ 119

Aura:

145345 Credits

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonny wrote:
Tenchithepimp wrote:
Lonny wrote:

Yes I can answer that since I have family from north eastern mainly New Hampshire and Rhode Island areas and everything in that part of the region is at least 10 yeast behind in style and the way people act compared to the West Cost always been that way since it's a bit slow paced in those parts.

Rhode Island slow anything but Laughing
Mario's Mentor

Aura:

0 Credits

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother is watching make this post, since the question I'm about to ask is coming from HER. About 20 years ago, she heard that if you wore a skirt in Japan, then you would fit the description of a prostitute. Is that true?
EvilGrinEnygma

AB Rep: +2

12904 Credits

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the past 6 and a half years backpacking, mainly in Africa, but covered most of Europe, lived in Norway for a few years, Sweden etc etc.

I tended to find that most of my stereotypes were blown away, but found quite a few reinforced.

Although being Irish, I would tend to class the majority of Irish, as the most ignorant, backward,homophobic and racist people I have met(outside of any Muslim countries I have visited-before any Irish or any practicing Muslims jump down my throat, I didn't say ALL Irish or ALL Muslims)

It baffles me as to how we have such a 'good' name around the world.

Without a doubt, Scandinavia-their culture, lifestyle, politics, criminal justice etc etc are light years ahead of the rest of us.

For sheer diversity of cultures, hard to beat South Africa. Amazing country, with amazing people. Pity about the crime.

Coming from a Western lifestyle, any of those that like to experience different cultures, it is a toss up between Africa or the Middle East.

But that is just my preference............
carltontx

USA

$ 117

AB Rep: +16
Aura:

85766 Credits

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have to say that americans do not so much have bad taste in clothes but are just to busy trying to out do their neighbors. you could start a trend that wearing paper bag clothes is the thing these days and you would have Americans running to the store to buy some.

and yes i am an american. i myself wear wrangler jeans and t-shirts. my ideal of dressing up if my newest pair of jeans and a black t-shirt with my boots polished to a shine instead of sneakers.
Fullmoon

$ 51

Aura:

1681 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promised I would talk a bit about the Sardinian culture...here I am!!

The dance in Sardinia is one of the most important expressions and rich in meaning of the folk tradition.The dance, in this region, has always been of great importance, in fact representing, not a moment of fun, but a reason to aggregation and socialization.
Through the dance, were counted the moments of life of the community,we celebrate the births, the marriages, the patron saint, was danced at the end of the Mass, after a good harvest or a good vintage.There are many reasons that induce the community to organize a dance.
The musical instruments used in the performance of a dance are: the diatonic accordion, accordion, flute cane, the "launeddas" etc...

I taken at random one of the many traditional Sardinian dancing....

Some traditional costumes of Sardinia(to see them all, it would take a 20-minute video)....

Hope you like it..Cheers Moon Wink
Dr. Nürburg

Writer & Musician

Nevernevercreech

$ 184

AB Rep: +130
Aura:

173868 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fullmoon I see Sardinia is somewhat different to mainland Italy. I don't recall seeing any people dancing or dressed like that in Italy.

I've lived in Milan, Turin, Puglia and Fasano... so those customs must be completely unique to Sardinia.

Interesting though, reminds me of some Eastern European dances. The music is also kind of Eastern European too. How bizarre. Or maybe it's Jewish influence.

Thanks for the demonstration!

Fullmoon

$ 51

Aura:

1681 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Nürburg wrote:
@Fullmoon I see Sardinia is somewhat different to mainland Italy. I don't recall seeing any people dancing or dressed like that in Italy.

I've lived in Milan, Turin, Puglia and Fasano... so those customs must be completely unique to Sardinia.

Interesting though, reminds me of some Eastern European dances. The music is also kind of Eastern European too. How bizarre. Or maybe it's Jewish influence.

Thanks for the demonstration!

if thou Dr.Nurburg, come to Sardinia, you do not see people dressed like this...the Sardinians wore those costumes in the past and each costume differed according to country of origin, according to marital status and social class.....today, they are worn on the occasion of the festivities, delle Sagre etc. Wink

Even other Italian regions, Piedmont, Sicily, Lazio, Abruzzo ,Puglia etc. .. have their own traditional costumes (as there are in Scotland, England,Ireland, Holland etc..)!!!

Yes, with regard to the influences from other civilizations, you're right!!!....Sardinia has a very diverse and ancient history...being in a central location in the Mediterranean Sea, many have tried to conquer it but to no avail...the island has, in fact, suffered many invasions and influences by sailors, pirates, Indians, Etruscans, Phoenicians, Carthaginians and Romans etc...
I can only say that Sardinia is the only Italian region where you can find many historical and archaeological finds belonging to different historical periods( PS. the first inhabitants are traced back to the Neolithic)

This is a video on nuragica civilization in Sardinia(from 1700 A.C to II sec.a.c)...there are thousands of attendance nuraghes, villages, sacred wells, tombs of the giants...

rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

AB Rep: +294
Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the video's Fullmoon and explaining the history or background of them Very Happy I lived in Sicily for 9 months due to my job and never got the opportunity to go to Sardina Sad I always wanted to but just never had the time off from work.

But, I did see costumes but like you said they were slightly different and not the same as those.

+1 for sharing Very Happy

$ 5

AB Rep: +1

10361 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently live in Ireland, but before coming here I lived in Germany.

However, in Ireland the whole stereotype thing about a majority of them having red hair, isn't true. In fact only about 2% of the people in my town have ginger hair. XD

Arrow Here in Ireland, the main language is ENGLISH. However, the Irish language is still spoken in certain parts of it (especially the south). Other than that, nobody I know speaks it. In fact, if you were to go to Ireland and speak to any random person, they would reply in English... most of the people here can't even speak their own language.

The traditional dance here is Irish-dancing, mostly done by girls. To me, it's a bit like tap dancing but you throw your feet into the air a little, haha.

That's pretty much the basics. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > General Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: