Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Windows 8.1 has been released; are you running it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Computing Search Forum
Recent Topics
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

AB Rep: +289
Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Windows 8.1 has been released; are you running it? Reply with quote

Windows 8.1 was released back in October but I had no idea it was even released! This is because Windows 8 users actually have to download it from the Windows Store rather than have Windows 8 download it automatically!

Here is a Youtube review of Windows 8.1:

Are any of you running Windows 8 or 8.1? What do you think of this new version of Windows 8?

Philippines and/or Hong Kong

$ 108

AB Rep: +52
Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, garyoak99, it is very interesting! Cool

I'm still running Vista in non-Aero mode, so I am watching the video as an 'outsider'. From what I see, the colour scheme and icon designs would appeal to 10-year-olds.

The video you linked to seems to focus more on W8.1's ability to find anything on Bing, and connect to Social Apps so, again, perhaps it is aimed at a young audience.

Looking at the list of Pros and Cons towards the end of the video, the most significant Pro (for me) would be "It has the Start button", while the most significant Con (for me) would be "There isn't much need for the Modern environment on a traditional desktop setup".

Having said all that, I still feel I want to go out and buy it (when I have enough money). I just need to find a reason why I should buy it.

It will be interesting to hear from any ABers who have actually installed it and are using it now. Wink
Dr. Nürburg

Writer & Musician

Nevernevercreech

$ 184

AB Rep: +130
Aura:

173868 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running from it more like. Very Happy
Holovision

$ 12

AB Rep: +2

10532 Credits

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a new computer last week with 8.1. I'm still trying to get used to the apps and I'm still switching over to the "classic" desktop look at least twice a day.
Lonny

$ 445

AB Rep: +95
Aura:

232109 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope I pass.
BTW 8+ is the same thing as 7 with a few bells and whistles added on top.

I think Microsoft is giving 100 Bucks credit if you upgrade from XP you may want to check on that.

I am loving Lubuntu 12.04 to much to go back to win anything.
Runs FAST don't need virus , male ware scrare ware protections or any other crap that bogs down the PC.

Quote:

Windows 8.1
If you want to run Windows 8.1 on your PC, here's what it takes:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Additional requirements to use certain features:
To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multitouch (more info)

To access the Windows Store and to download, run, and snap apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768

Microsoft account required for some features

Internet access (ISP fees might apply)

Secure boot requires firmware that supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B and has the Microsoft Windows Certification Authority in the UEFI signature database

Some games and programs might require a graphics card compatible with DirectX 10 or higher for optimal performance

Watching DVDs requires separate playback software (more info)

Windows Media Center license sold separately (more info)

BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive (Windows 8.1 Pro only)

BitLocker requires either Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 or a USB flash drive (Windows 8.1 Pro only)

Client Hyper-V requires a 64-bit system with second level address translation (SLAT) capabilities and additional 2 GB of RAM (Windows 8.1 Pro only)

A TV tuner is required to play and record live TV in Windows Media Center (Windows 8.1 Pro Pack and Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack only)

Miracast requires a display adapter which supports Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.3, and a Wi-Fi adapter that supports Wi-Fi Direct

Wi-Fi Direct Printing requires a Wi-Fi adapter that supports Wi-Fi Direct and a device that supports Wi-Fi Direct Printing

Free internet TV content varies by geography, some content might require additional fees (Windows 8.1 Pro Pack and Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack only)

To install a 64-bit OS on a 64-bit PC, your processor needs to support CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW, and LAHF/SAHF

InstantGo works only with computers designed for Connected Standby

If your PC is currently running Windows 7 or Windows 8 you can check to see if it meets the requirements by running the Upgrade Assistant. We also recommend that you visit your PC manufacturer's website for info about updated drivers and hardware compatibility.

Quote:

System Requirements Lubuntu
A Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM is probably a bottom-line configuration that may yield slow yet usable system with a reduced lubuntu desktop.

13.10 32 bit ISO require your CPU to have Physical Address Extensions, or PAE. "PAE is provided by Intel Pentium Pro and above CPUs, including all later Pentium-series processors (except most 400 MHz-bus versions of the Pentium M)."

If you have a pre-Pentium II CPU, start from the Ubuntu 12.04 mini.iso.

That's pretty much it. It does everything windows can do and better in my opinion

I don't play PC games anymore, that's what consoles are for. I use the PC's for work stuff and it get's the job done.

Or one more thing the OS is free to use and one like myself can modify the code anyway his or her's heart desires.
http://lubuntu.net/

Great Canada - US Host...
LalinGouki
Scores Officer
||¯|_( 93r4rd0 )_|¯||

México, CDMX.

$ 358

AB Rep: +363
Aura:

93863 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Windows 8.1 Pro since 4 months ago. that´s ok.

only one disadvantage to me, It request an Microsoft account, some times it is irritating i think each user provide all their datas to the government with that, and this account only works to have apps from the Google play, SkyDirve, etc, and many thinks you can to buy in Google, as movies, books, games, etc, but i think they are very expensive.

You can avoid register with a Microsoft account, but it works as simple windows 7, and is can´t to get some app, anyway you have 2 options to choose.
Lonny

$ 445

Aura:

232109 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

government?
what type of info are they asking for?
seems a little odd to me are they collecting users log ins and passwords
with this information collection?

LalinGouki
Scores Officer
||¯|_( 93r4rd0 )_|¯||

México, CDMX.

$ 358

AB Rep: +363
Aura:

93863 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonny wrote:
government?
what type of info are they asking for?
seems a little odd to me are they collecting users log ins and passwords
with this information collection?

Well i mean when you have an Microsoft account you register all your datas then it has "associated accounts" with others social networks accounts, and it could be a strategy to collect all datas, but it happen when you buy something and provides all your datas.
Lonny

$ 445

Aura:

232109 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^correct
it's like google that users one account for all their services.

If I understand correctly this is how it works now everywhere.
these services including social media sites do the same thing, they keep pushing you to connect to everything, use your real name, give them your phone number - it's getting more and more invasive by the second.
this includes software giant microsoft.

it also makes it easier to collect data in case you go to court ... that's a different story for another day....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Computing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: