Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Valentines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Archives Search Forum
Recent Topics
SmokeyQuartz
Forum Officer

$ 14

AB Rep: +36
Aura:

3193 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Valentines Reply with quote

oh oh Valentines Day. .. the day of love. .. well in history, not so much. Im sorry if you have heard this all before but here is a history of 'Valentines Day'

Just some reading for anyone who gets bored lol

:::::now i know there are a lot of different versions of how this day came to be, but i think reading about all of them is still pretty entertaining lol. I dont have a love in my life so i have plenty of time on my hands lol so if you are out there and dont have any love interest either in your life, hug your dog, sister, mom, dad anyone in your life and use this day as an appreciation to the ones you love in your life! ::::::

Approximately 141 million Valentine's Day cards are exchanged annually, making Valentine's Day the second most popular card-sending holiday after Christmas.

But how did we declare this one day out of the year to be one for lovers?

With all the cards, balloons, and chocolate being prepared for the upcoming holiday, you might be wondering if there is further meaning behind the candy conversation hearts we exchange every year.

The origins of Valentine's Day come from the patron saint of love and happy marriages—Saint Valentine.

Many stories surround Saint Valentine, but all share the common thread that he lived as a sympathetic and romantic figure.

When Valentine was serving as a priest in third century Rome, Emperor Claudius II declared that single men made better soldiers than those with wives or families and marriage was outlawed for young men in Italy.

Valentine, who saw the injustice of this law, continued to marry young lovers in secret and was later sentenced to death and jailed for his actions.

While imprisoned, he fell in love with his jailer's daughter. It is said that he made the first "valentine card" by writing her a letter before his death signed "From your Valentine."

Today, Italy carries on Valentine's real life "Romeo and Juliet" story by celebrating with tokens of love and gifts —traditions that have been adapted and become customary in the United States. In certain parts of the country, it has even become a custom to get engaged on that day.

The rituals of roses and chocolates can be found as part of Valentine's festivities in many other parts of the world as well. The British also celebrate Valentine's Day with cards and gift exchanges between loved ones.

Some families in Norfolk incorporate the character of ‘Jack the Valentine' into their holiday fun. Children are told there will be a knock on the door on Valentine's Eve and upon opening the door, a present is ready for them, but the sender is nowhere to be found. In more pranking variations of the tradition, the package is pulled away by a string as the child attempts to pick it up.

In Japan and Korea, women present gifts to their significant others on Feb. 14, but the male gives his gift on another day later in the year.

People in Denmark might send a gaekkebrev—a "joking letter"—that includes a silly rhyme in the letter, but with no signature.

Instead, the sender leaves a dot for each letter of his or her name and if the woman guesses correctly, she receives an Easter egg that spring.

During the Middle Ages, Valentine's Day was believed to be the beginning of the birds' mating season.

This added to the idea that February was the month of romance—and no matter the differences in traditions from country to country, the month of love is a notion that still remains universal.
Destroyer

DMC

Parts Unknown

AB Rep: +93
Aura:

998147 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very classy and fitting song for this day. The legendary Paul McCartney makes yet another classic.

It was 900 trillion times better than Nicki Minaj's Roman Holiday crapfest.
rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

AB Rep: +294
Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Valentine's Day !!!

SmokeyQuartz
Forum Officer

$ 14

AB Rep: +36
Aura:

3193 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i LOVE the song Destroyer!! thanks its always great to hear that one!!

you made me smile on a day that i usually dont on
Ernie
Forum Officer

Over there, but still here.

AB Rep: +20
Aura:

79235 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokeyQuartz wrote:
you made me smile on a day that i usually dont on

That's okay, I'm usually not happy on Valentine's Day either. It just reminds me of how lonely I am.
Crying or Very sad

But it was nice reading those Valentine's Day tidbits. It put a metaphorical smile on my face (because really smiling takes too much effort).
NickP16AUS

Professional Idiot

Australia

$ 163

AB Rep: +59
Aura:

109381 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another year without a valentine, soon I'm going to get to old for this Embarassed
Happy Valentines to you all!
-White-Wolf-

____-W-W-___

$ 1266

AB Rep: +221
Aura:

1137635 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day

Editted, the pictures were changed somehow.
Thanks to SQ for letting me know.
Super Duper

$ 43

42570 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogbow wrote:
Happy Valentine's Day !!!

Heheheheh

Happy Valentine's day indeed Smile
bedem15

-->"Beantown"<--

Boston

$ 919

AB Rep: +41
Aura:

147379 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its ok nick...you'll find that lucky guy someday

TripleXp

AB Rep: +3

7664 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icant wait to get a nice girl somedayy..

congratz 2 anyone in love
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Archives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: