Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Canadians ain't so DUMB.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Archives Search Forum
Recent Topics
ICBM

I Came. I Saw. I Am Legend.

AB Rep: +26

8695 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Canadians ain't so DUMB..... Reply with quote

Ships of Ice

Prologue

In 1942 the Allies were already developing plans for the re-occupation of Europe, and Winston Churchill favoured large floating platforms to support the landings. In addition the allies were suffering heavy merchant shipping losses from German U-boats, due, largely, to the limited range of patrolling aircraft and the resulting "mid Atlantic Air Gap." Churchill therefore welcomed the idea of building large ships made of ice as presented to him by Lord Louis Mountbatten.

Mountbatten was Chief of Combined Operations, an organisation responsible to the Chiefs of Staff for the development of equipment and special craft for offensive operations. One of his scientific advisers, Geoffrey Pyke, presented the idea of constructing "berg-ships" - up to 4,000 feet long, 600 feet wide and 130 feet in depth – that could be made cheaply, and in great numbers, from ice. The ships would be insulated and cooled, made practically invulnerable to bombs or torpedoes. They could be used by aircraft to provide protection for shipping, particularly in the mid Atlantic, and as a base for invasion. With Winston Churchill’s enthusiastic endorsement, the project got underway.

In early 1943 two American professors discovered that a very tough material could be produced by adding a small amount of wood pulp to water before freezing. They called this material pykrete, in honour of Geoffrey Pyke.

Lord Mountbatten had a block of Pykrete prepared by a Canadian engineering company and took it to the Quebec Conference in the fall of 1943. As it appeared that "Habbakuk" would run into supply and technical problems, not to mention the high costs ($100 million for the first ship), it was Mountbatten’s aim to get the Americans to take over the project. What better way than to set up a live demonstration! It is reported that he took out his revolver and fired at a block of ordinary ice which immediately shattered. He then fired at a similar block of Pykrete which was so strong that the bullet ricocheted, narrowly missing Sir Charles
Portal the Chief of the Air Staff!

The Secret

Studies commenced into the two paradoxical elements of ice – plastic flow and brittleness. One such study involved the construction of a structure, 60 long by 30 feet wide and 19.5 feet high on a lake in the Canadian Rocky Mountains - Patricia Lake in Jasper, Alberta.

The structure was of wood frame construction with 3 inch x 6 inch studs and 3 inch x 8 inch floor joists and was filled with ice cut from the lake. The structure was insulated and included 3 Freon compressors driven by 10 hp electric motors. Cold air was distributed throughout the ice by a network of 6 inch galvanized-iron cooling pipes. This study was to determine problems of construction and thermal behaviour of ice in summer.

A further experiment was conducted simultaneously in front of the Chateau Lake Louise, near Banff, Alberta. The requirement of this project was to determine ways to reinforce large ice units. The work at Lake Louise indicated that a hull at least 35 feet thick, would be needed to contain damage from bombs and torpedoes.

By this time the Battle of the Atlantic had been virtually won and new aircraft carrier construction was promising to further strengthen defences. Reluctantly the project was shelved.

The floating structure in Patricia Lake in Jasper was abandoned at the end of August 1943. After removing all machinery, and left to sink in place. In the 1970’s scuba divers discovered the remains and they were subsequently studied by the Archaeology Department of the University of Calgary.

Epilogue

In 1988, the Underwater Archaeological Society of Alberta marked the site with an underwater monument. The following year, with the assistance of the National Research Council and the National Parks branch, a plaque commemorating these unusual wartime events was erected on the shore of the lake.
monopoly man 123

dont know

$ 90

AB Rep: +5
Aura:

1037 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: ???? Reply with quote

did u write that ur self? Question Question Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN/WLM Messenger
The Big Hobb

AB Rep: -30

53642 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg icbm ur forums are sooo long haha
coolguy68

$ 290

Aura:

24325 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Chickenman, why are your posts always sooooo long??
The Big Hobb

53642 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolguy i believe his name is icbm now haha
coolguy68

$ 290

Aura:

24325 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pshobbes479 wrote:
coolguy i believe his name is icbm now haha

But his actual name is Chickenman...he just changed it for some reason
The Big Hobb

53642 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i know i was just messing... btw that capeglide score is disgusting.. in all honesty ur problem is that ur just too cocky and thats why u rub me the wrong way
Lonny

$ 445

AB Rep: +95
Aura:

232109 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliff notes please since i just lit a stogie Cool
coolguy68

$ 290

Aura:

24325 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pshobbes479 wrote:
yea i know i was just messing... btw that capeglide score is disgusting.. in all honesty ur problem is that ur just too cocky and thats why u rub me the wrong way

Srry but man I had to brag about that score...it is my best score yet....
The Big Hobb

53642 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont mean about that score i just mean in general... u will get ur props when u put up a great score... but when u say things like "im the best ever" thats a little ridic
coolguy68

$ 290

Aura:

24325 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just my attittude...I want to be the best at everything and if I am I like to brag about it. If it annoys you that much I can try to restrain myself but im really just joking around and I know that there are much better people on the site than me.
The Big Hobb

53642 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i guess im just the opposite bc i like 2 keep quiet even if im good but its all just good natured fighting.. as long as u understand that
ArcadeBoss
Site Admin
Game On

ARMIO

AB Rep: +111
Aura:

1187994 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool post ICBM, I've never heard of that. Interesting read.
monopoly man 123

dont know

$ 90

AB Rep: +5
Aura:

1037 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: candians arent dumb Reply with quote

candians arent dumb icbm, but u are!!! lol Laughing Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Twisted Evil
coolguy68

$ 290

Aura:

24325 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: candians arent dumb Reply with quote

monopoly man 123 wrote:
candians arent dumb icbm, but u are!!! lol

Hey monopolyman123, what is a candian? Is it a person from candyland? Learn how to type.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Archives All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: