Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Coming Changes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Arcade Boss Contests Search Forum
Recent Topics
ArcadeBoss
Site Admin
Game On

ARMIO

AB Rep: +111
Aura:

1171784 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Coming Changes Reply with quote

Tonight around midnight, Mochi Media shuts down permanently. While we won't miss the ads, we will miss their highscores. Yes, unfortunately all our Mochi highscore games will stop processing highscores. This is a huge hit to the highscore systems of AB, as Mochi has been our only source of highscore games for many years.

Also, I wonder if it may be time that the monthly cash contests come to an end, or at least a pause. Would you prefer the contests if they were purely for fun (and credits)? What do you think?

We love and appreciate our great community, let us know your thoughts.
Holovision

$ 12

AB Rep: +2

10532 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Coming Changes Reply with quote

ArcadeBoss wrote:

I think if this is serious April 1st is bad timing for your announcement. Smile
msidoh

Philippines and/or Hong Kong

$ 108

AB Rep: +52
Aura:

222557 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the money is nice, but it's not a show-stopper for me. I've always regarded AB as a site where I come to play games, and read/contribute to forum posts.

If we also lose all our hard-earned All-time High Scores, Tourney win history etc, that would be a pity.

Even more sad will be if we lose our impromptu one-on-one competitions. I think it's great when I get a monthly high score, then someone like Joker420 or Carnage666 takes my score, so I go back and reclaim it, then they come back a day later and beat me again, then I go back in... That's what makes the site more fun!

Honestly, if the site is run "purely for fun", I think a few (many?) members will quickly lose interest, but I have no suggestions of what to put in place to attract new members. I'm sure you are scratching your head, too!

Whatever happens, Mr. ArcadeBoss, I and many others (I'm sure) appreciate all the effort that you have put into this site (and other sites!) to keep the masses entertained. Many thanks for that, and I look forward to see what happens next! Cool
Dr. Nürburg

Writer & Musician

Nevernevercreech

$ 184

AB Rep: +130
Aura:

173868 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the cash prizes encourage cheating and generally monetary mediums are not really a sociably friendly thing.

Just my opinion.

I will however be bringing some more life to the forums soon. Stay tuned...

LalinGouki
Scores Officer
||¯|_( 93r4rd0 )_|¯||

México, CDMX.

$ 358

AB Rep: +363
Aura:

93863 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happen with the Arcadeboss Games??? all them are mochi, but they were created in this site.
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

AB Rep: +289
Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Coming Changes Reply with quote

Holovision wrote:
ArcadeBoss wrote:

I think if this is serious April 1st is bad timing for your announcement. Smile

It was still March 31st when ArcadeBoss made the announcement.
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

AB Rep: +294
Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lalin makes a good point...If you made the game why could you not make a leaderboard for those games ? Or even a local API leaderboard that could support the mochi games ? Just curious I would think this is possible.

As for the competitions to me the money has always been a bonus I just enjoy playing the games. But, as a long time member I have seen the prize money lowered a few times and each time it is lowered the competition gets less and less. Seems as though most gamers don't compete as hard or as much as they did before it was lowered or they just slowly disappear altogether. But, I also agree with Dr. Nurburg that cash prizes encourage cheating and generally monetary mediums are not really a sociably friendly thing. But, at the same time it has killed the competitions when lowered so what in it's place is going to keep the competitions going ???? if it was removed altogether. I do not think replacing the money with credits alone will work either because what are the players going to be able to use them on ? The store only has limited items and tournaments are usually set with reasonable amounts to keep in mind of newer gamers or those who do not have many credits.

This is a tough decision because the most important thing is to keep the gamers interested in the site and keep new ones joining so whatever competition is in place thrives not dies.

Maybe there should be more in the store to buy or a way to use the credits towards something else ? this is just my opinion

Also I believe another feature that should be looked at is the tournaments. Since the tournaments were based off of mochi games and will need to be changed as well because of mochi shut down. What should be addressed as well in retrospect to the tournaments is the fact for 1 to win the tournament they must submit a score. Just because someone joins a tournament and fails to submit a score or joins but never attempts to submit a score is NOT justification they get a tournament win for it. If NO SCORES are submitted then the tournament win should not count. ( EXAMPLE )...if there is a race and it is cancelled for one reason or another the first person who signs up does not get announced as the winner and get the prize money. Any entry fees paid in are returned to all the participants that signed up and the race is cancelled with NO WINNER. This is the way the tournaments on this site should be as well. Seems as though certain members have been abusing this feature to get a tournament win to qualify for prizes. Which in my opinion is a pretty low way to get a prize. I feel it should be simple SUBMIT A SCORE or there is NO WINNER.

$ 445

AB Rep: +95
Aura:

232109 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say do away with the money I my self usually play whats in my favorite list and rarely play Mochi games.

Some of those Mochi games may hold copy rights to them. So AB can't just ad them with permission from the rightful owners.

Great Canada - US Host...
ArcadeBoss
Site Admin
Game On

ARMIO

AB Rep: +111
Aura:

1171784 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

All the games will continue to work and be playable. But if a game was using Mochi highscore system (whether it had Mochi ads or not) those highscores won't work any more.

We still have some of the older v32 highscore games that can allow the competitions to continue using those, even if for credits.

More options for spending credits would be nice, we'll have to see what is possible.

Also, I need to make a few adjustments to the code to reflect the loss of Mochi scores, and check on how v32 score system games are treated by the system. Hopefully I can check that soon, during this month.

I'd like to start having more games added to the site, however these will likely just be for fun, not scores.

Y'all are the best, appreciate the support.
rogbow
Scores Officer

Ohio

$ 599

AB Rep: +294
Aura:

992410 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update ArcadeBoss. We will await your decision on this issue.

Any chance we can make a list of NON - mochi games just like the mochi - games list for the tournaments ? So we know which games we can request for our monthly tournament requests ? Because as it stands for now no one under the current tournament rules can even request a tournament.

Grove City, PA USA

$ 4

AB Rep: +3

586 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so very sad about this. I love playing on this site and winning stuff. It's almost like playing games isn't wasting time because if you try hard enough you'll get cash at the end of the month. This was the best set up on games sites I've found so far and I'm so very sad to see it ending.
GinnyBoyd

Grove City, PA USA

$ 4

AB Rep: +3

586 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what this means but I just played Bubble Greed and it said I had the highest score and everything like it use to. Will it still do that even tho they're not keeping track anymore? Sad
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

AB Rep: +289
Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GinnyBoyd wrote:
Not sure what this means but I just played Bubble Greed and it said I had the highest score and everything like it use to. Will it still do that even tho they're not keeping track anymore? Sad

I just tried a Mochi game and it said "undefined" for all the scoreboards. Does it still work for you even now?

$ 445

AB Rep: +95
Aura:

232109 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some games are saving others are not. maybe they pulled the code on their servers and it's taking time to filter throu.

Quote:

Mochi MediaSmiley Face Log In
Pursuant to the board resolutions and shareholder consent of Mochi Media, Inc., a Delaware incorporation (the "Company"), the Company has filed a Certificate of Dissolution with the Secretary of State of the State of Delaware. The Company is in the process of winding up all of its affairs. Please read the announcement set forth below and other information provided hereon because they may affect your rights.

All final payments will be sent out by the end of April. If your account balance is less than $100, but greater than $10, you are also eligible for a final payment - you just need to submit a request here:

To Mochi Media partners–

It saddens me to make this announcement today–our parent company Shanda has decided to dissolve the Mochi Media business. The last day that Mochi Media services will be available is March 31, 2014.

What you need to know–

March 31, 2014 is the last day that Mochi Media services will be available, and after that day:
All online accounts, dashboards, reporting and forums on mochimedia.com will no longer be accessible
Games distributed by Mochi that are hosted on publisher sites will be playable, but all of the other services including Ads, Live Updates, Scores, Achievements and Analytics will no longer function, and we can no longer extend the right for publishers to host these games
We encourage you to visit your account today and download your desired data individually. Prior to March 31, 2014, we plan to send an email to the address associated with each account with some basic data for the games in your account. This is strictly a backup option and the data will be limited to views and revenue information by game, so be sure to get any data you might need right away. Please keep in mind that a large number of people will likely be requesting a massive amount of data from our servers over the next couple of weeks, so please be patient with the computing times
As part of wind-down, as of today, March 14:
We are not approving any additional games into Mochi distribution
We are not accepting additional funds into self-serve advertiser accounts
As such, you are encouraged to do the following prior to March 31st–

Advice to Developers
Utilize your data (among other methods) to identify top hosts for your games, and manually upload your games to those sites by working with them directly
If you properly implemented the Mochi Media API, your games will not otherwise be affected when our services go dark
As mentioned above, we encourage you to visit your account today and download your desired data individually
To further minimize the revenue impact on developers, we are allowing the use of 3rd party ad networks in Mochi Media distribution
We are making the usual monthly rev-share payments to eligible accounts with more than $100 of accrued revenue: one payment to reflect February earnings to be issued by end of March 2014, and a final payment to include March earnings to be issued by end of April 2014
If you have any claim against Mochi Media, whether it relates to the rev-share payments and whether the accrued revenue in your account exceeds $100, you must notify Mochi Media as soon as practical and in no event later than April 14, 2014 by submitting the form with the required information which is available here (must be logged-in).
Advice to Publishers
Download (or re-download) all of the game files for your site. If you are currently embedding or hot-linking, consider hosting the files yourself. This will minimize the impact for you and will ensure you have the latest version of the games. To clarify, Mochi can no longer extend the right for you to host these games so you will need to establish agreements with developers directly and/or other distribution services
If you choose not to do this, you run the risk of games not functioning properly. You have until March 31, 2014 to take action. This option will not be available to you after that date
As mentioned above, we encourage you to visit your account today and download your desired data individually
We are making the usual monthly rev-share payments to eligible accounts with more than $100 of accrued revenue: one payment to reflect February earnings to be issued by end of March 2014, and a final payment to include March earnings to be issued by end of April 2014
If you have any claim against Mochi Media, whether it relates to the rev-share payments and whether the accrued revenue in your account exceeds $100, you must notify Mochi Media as soon as practical and in no event later than April 14, 2014 by submitting the form with the required information which is available here (must be logged-in).
Advice to Self-Serve Advertisers
The ability to add funds to your account is no longer available
All placements will automatically end March 31, 2014. Please plan your budgets and bids accordingly
Advertiser accounts will no longer be active after March 31, 2014. Please download reports and invoices you may need before this date
Remaining Funds in accounts will be distributed back to the account holder by the end of April
Some Final Thoughts from Mochi
First off, thank you for working with us all of these years.

Mochi Media was founded in 2005 by Jameson and Bob with the mission of fueling the creativity of indie game developers. You focus on making a great game, and we’ll take care of the rest. At that time, Flash was a platform that held a lot of potential if developers could find ways to track, monetize and build better games. Together, Flash and Mochi provided an on-ramp to a career or business in game development.

In addition to furthering our services and business, Mochi assumed a role in growing the category. We organized and hosted FGS (aka Flash Gaming Summit) for five years to get this community out from behind computer screens and in person to talk game development. We supported developer meet-ups like Mochi London. And we addressed the “state of the union” with the Flash Game Market Survey. Moving forward, we expect that others will pick up the baton in advancing the indie cause.

I think I speak for everyone who has been a part of the Mochi team over the years in saying that the innovation from you developers inspired us. We take great pride in currently seeing Ninja Kiwi’s Bloons TD5, and Flipline Studios’ Papa’s Freezeria To Go among the Top Games Charts on iOS. We love that at one time we shared a desk with Casual Collective which is now known as KIXEYE.

Today, there has never been a better time to be an indie game developer in terms of the platforms and audiences one can reach: Flash, iOS, Android, XBLA, PSN, Steam, HTML5, and the list goes on. If Mochi had a more meaningful position today beyond Flash, then there may have been a different path for the company going forward.

Though we won’t (as team Mochi) be a part of your future growth, we cannot wait to see what you create next. Best of luck.

Thank you,
Josh

© 2014 Mochi Media, Inc.
Contact | Terms of Service | Privacy | DMCA

That's from their home page....
I like this part the best...

Today, there has never been a better time to be an indie game developer in terms of the platforms and audiences one can reach: Flash, iOS, Android, XBLA, PSN, Steam, HTML5, and the list goes on. If Mochi had a more meaningful position today beyond Flash, then there may have been a different path for the company going forward.

They know where the problem lye's but yet let the company go. i still have think ity would be best if someone came in and took the reins and keep it afloat....

As I read that statement it looks like the scores will still save but ad's will no longer be of service....
Correct me if I am wrong but that's what I'm getting from that.

Great Canada - US Host...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Arcade Boss Contests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: