Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
How to be an Arcade Boss #1 - Defending your Turf!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Arcade Boss Games Search Forum
Recent Topics
thestorm529

New York City

$ 5

2069 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: How to be an Arcade Boss #1 - Defending your Turf! Reply with quote

I've only been on the site for a month, but my goal is to be a champ like Neeraffa. Congrats, on your October win, by the way!

Abbalover recently asked for tips on how to be a stronger player. My first piece of advice would be to find games that you feel comfortable playing, and making them part of your game arsenal or your "turf". These should be games that you both enjoy playing, and that you play well. Ideally, they should also be games that do not take overly long to play, so that if someone attempts to reclaim your monthly high score, you can play again to take it back.

By reclaiming your high scores when they are taken, you will show that you are serious about being the monthly champ on that game, and may frustrate your rival and cause them to move on to another game. If players think that they can beat you and you won't respond, they will be more encouraged to try.

Choose games that you can achieve or nearly achieve the all-time record in. That way when people are choosing a game, they will be less likely to go after yours, since you will have a top score with the all-time score as a frame of reference.

Use the "favoriting" option to help you remember what your turf is.

Good luck, and tell me what you think! - S.
neeraffa

1st gamer to reach $1000

England

$ 1958

AB Rep: +334
Aura:

25326 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good avice there Storm Wink

Defending your 'turf' is a good way to keep your best scores, if you lose an all time score but feel you can do better at the game just keep trying, there have been many times i've had to play a game 4 or 5 times in a row just to get a score i think will 'stick' because it doesn't always happen 1st time every time.
khelos

$ 53

5209 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it's a good strategy, but near common sense when you think about the terms. We are all good at something. I just wish there where more puzzle solving games, like magic pen (1 and 2 Very Happy)

I'm comfortable with the games I play, but it's kinda hard to look for the games you would be comfortable with because they are just all so different Surprised
Eagle_Kiwi
Eagle Eye

Dunedin, New_Zealand

$ 78

AB Rep: +28
Aura:

87185 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for an excellent post here Storm. Smile

I started off here favouriting just the games I ENJOYED. But hey, I came to realise that enjoying and being good at are not synonymous - there are some games I love playing, but I'm really lousy at (compared with other "good" players) and there are quite a number of others that I DON'T enjoy playing, yet I happen to be capable of great scores!

So nowadays my Favourites list is simply games I know/think I can get good scores on, regardless of whether I "enjoy" them.

Well, I guess that's the competitive streak, eh?! There's probably dozens of sites around with better / more enjoyable-to-play games when taken in isolation, but I'm here for the COMPETITION, and if that means spending hours on a game I hate, so be it (as long as I end up with the trophy Wink )

BTW Storm, I applaud your goal, but suggest u forget about the Neeraffa's of this world, and focus 100% on reaching that first pay cheque - a glorious US$3.00 that you so sadly had snatched away a coupla days ago! LOL (Best of Luck! Smile)
parkerr

TX,U.S.A! ianbrown@privacyharbor.com

7579 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are class A coo! Very Happy thanks
LalinGouki
Scores Officer
||¯|_( 93r4rd0 )_|¯||

México, CDMX.

$ 358

AB Rep: +363
Aura:

93863 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with EK. I love playing the games that I like and I'm good at other games that do not like.
But my technique isnt to be the best at everything, my technique is to compete for the games that i like, and i concentrate much to do my best effort. With the time I achieved good results, to least in THE ALL TIME BOSS (29wins sixth place), and my monthly average is 30 to 35 but I have planed someday beat to neeraffa, I have hope that in about 6 to 8 months, I can beat him but that's not my goal, my main goal for me is to get to first place in ALL TIME BOSS playing the games I love playing.
Lost_Guy

Neenah, WI USA

$ 193

AB Rep: +2

8235 Credits

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent points all around made here.

One thing that was really tough for me to learn that I've learned more recently is this. Don't give up on a game after 2 or 3 plays thinking you "can't" compete at it. It is tempting to think such a thing because of the massive selection of games offered around here, and maybe you think that you can only afford to spend five minutes on each game to figure out if you're good at it. I've managed to surprise myself a time or two by figuring out things about a game after 15-20 minutes of playing that I didn't realize at first.

One example would be on Rune Towers. I think I must have played that for a half hour before I figured out that it was safe to allow other colored tiles inside of the circle pulsating around your tower. Little things like that can completely change a game.
rainforever

$ 12

AB Rep: -3
Aura:

2661 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some really excellent ideas. Also, Sometimes it works for me to find a way in certain games to make it easier that most people don't think of.
EvilGrinEnygma

AB Rep: +2

12904 Credits

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true.

Although, I find myself getting sucked into a tit for tat with 2 guys in the BOTM competition( Messrs Oak and Bow!!)

Would love to bump my way into all time high-scores- at a cursory glance, there is definitely 15 games that I can take the score for, and ,MAYBE 25 - 30.

With a move to Oz coming up within the next few weeks, my free time is curtailed, so it won't be anytime soon.

I don't have the skill to be able to compete for BOTM and all time high score, so if you are like me-an average gamer, I would try to focus on one OR the other.

Amazes me, that for some of the games I play, and spend some time on, Rogbow saunters in and retakes the score, with minimum of fuss and a beast of a score-Sir, I doff my cap to you!!!

My strategy is now going to be, to take a steady aim at some of Rogbows all time high scores, and attempt to do some damage to them. Failing that, at least try to finish above him in some of the games he hasn't placed first in.

AND............. failing that.......... fancy a game of COD4 Mr Bow, at least with that, I KNOW I have more than a fighting chance!!!!

As a sidenote, there are some pretty serious scores on this website, and for a small majority of guys to score that heavily and consistent across a broad range of games-well done.
ThrillerFan

0 Credits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have noticed a lot of the "turf claiming" since I started playing here. Every month, certain games, when I claim first, are quickly reclaimed, especially ones like Craps, for example. Well, for the "turf claimer" of Craps to reclaim, he's going to have to beat the high score ever! My "turf" now is Craps and 3 different basketball games. I only need about 100 more games to get first for the month. I should have it by 2043! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Arcade Boss Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: