Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Game difficulty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Video Gaming Search Forum
Recent Topics
Darkstarsol

$ 14

AB Rep: +2

791 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Game difficulty Reply with quote

Let me state straight away this isn't a thread about how good I am at games because I hate people that do that.

I was playing some of my old Spectrum games and couldn't help noticing that games are getting easier. When I think back to games such as Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Attic Attak and Sabre Wulf I remember just how bloody hard they were and if you ever finished one you were hailed as some kind of gaming god.

Now though it seems that companies look more to style over substance. Yes games obviously look imeasurably better but does that relate to how good a game is? Some games like RPG's can offer nearly 100 hours of gameplay but your average game now is over in a mere 20-30. Back in my day it took you 20-30 hours just to get past level 2.

Gaming has come along but I fear we are starting to lose the soul of games to flashy graphics and online gamplay. Personally I want a game that looks like Zelda: A Link to the Past and plays for 3 years or so.

I'm not saying that games are ONLY graphics but lets face it that is what people judge a game by these days, yes gamplay comes into it but it's secondary.

Sorry this turned into a magazine article Smile Anyway all opinions welcome.
Lonny

$ 445

AB Rep: +95
Aura:

232109 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you talking about don't you love to kill time on farmville or mafia wars. "its the coolest". honestly i can't stand them games.

but yea i know what you mean i remember the days of quake 1 & 2 killing 100 or more hours only to beat the game and then play in nightmare setting.

these games paved the way.

i to miss the old atari days playing at 8-bits 1 MHz or so processor or the first nitendo NES.

but lets face it those days are long gone and the only way to relive out our youths of game playing if finding one online somewhere.

so yea im with you on how you feel on the matter.

Great Canada - US Host...
pimpin101

Missouri

$ 383

AB Rep: +44

117169 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like the games such as mafia wars either.....its really nice when you can find a game that sparks your interests and it also takes a long time to finish....a few of the games I did enjoy that were pretty long included zelda and mario but also games like chrono trigger and final fantasy 9 that took sometimes months to finish Confused

____-W-W-___

$ 1266

AB Rep: +221
Aura:

1137635 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very correct Pimpin101, altho i cannot really make to much of an opinion as i havent really played console gaming for th elast 3 odd year's, but from people i know to the game's ive seen i do tend to lean toward's everyone else's view's also.

It does seem to me that SOME game's these days do try to either take short cut's or dont make them as wide spread as they used to.

I will most definetly agree with the final fantasy game's, i played several of them a few years back + they are by far the biggest game's ive played for sheer game play.

I do intend to buy a PS3 + a Wii for xmas so at that time i would be able to make more of an opinion.
When i did play back on ps2 i usually had many game's of the series, + when i get the ps3 i will buy the later series or updated version's.
That will be a good way to see how the series have panned out.
Squall249

450 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final fantasy series is amazing, especially the 7, 8 and 9. MY favorite is the 8. I didn't try FF13 yet but I'm not interested in it, but I'm expecting a lot of FF14.
Ernie
Forum Officer

Over there, but still here.

AB Rep: +20
Aura:

79235 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're putting too much effort into the graphics, which is one part of the game that shouldn't matter too much. The creators are using as an "easy way out" of creating a game that's actually worth playing.

I guess they also just want to create something that can't be made in Flash, but I still prefer the Flash games.

Personally I'd also choose Pacman over any of the recent 360 games.
Smile
-White-Wolf-

____-W-W-___

$ 1266

AB Rep: +221
Aura:

1137635 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Really Exclamation Question

Man i hate Pacman.
So you must either really love Pacman, or totally hate the new 360 game's.I think some of there new game's have been amazing.

Yes Squall249, i agree #8 i think too was the best in the series, other people ive talked too about the series tend to say that too.
Ernie
Forum Officer

Over there, but still here.

AB Rep: +20
Aura:

79235 Credits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-White-Wolf- wrote:
Quote:

So you must either really love Pacman, or totally hate the new 360 game's.I think some of there new game's have been amazing..

I'm not a huge Pacman fan, but I really don't like most 360 games. None of them are actually worth playing, at least in my opinion. The graphics are great, but that doesn't make the game any more fun for me.
Greenfox

AB Rep: +2

4524 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that they give up gameplay for graphics. Of course, amazing graphics are expected out of every game nowadays. I also feel that a lot of the games have gotten easier. I have yet to find a game I can't beat. And if someone can't beat it, so many games have cheat codes.....What's the fun in that?

I could play games for the NES and SNES over and over again, but I can't do that with the new games. I never even managed to beat either of the Earthworm Jim's or the original Final Fantasy for the NES. Of course that game kept resetting itself Crying or Very sad

The only games that still require a lot of gameplay are RPG's such as Oblivion or the Fallout series. Most games can be beat in a couple hours. Renting might be the best way to go. The PS3 has yet to get a good co-op RPG Mad
garyoak99
Tournaments Officer

$ 680

AB Rep: +289
Aura:

278975 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernie wrote:
They're putting too much effort into the graphics, which is one part of the game that shouldn't matter too much.

I guess they also just want to create something that can't be made in Flash, but I still prefer the Flash games.

Smile

They ARE putting a lot of effort into building great looking games but first impressions are quite important so that isn't a surprise.

The second point isn't true because I doubt many old Super Nintendo games can be made in Flash. Have you seen any Super Nintendo/Famicom games faithfully reproduced in Flash?

Really? Which recent 360 games would you choose Pacman over? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Video Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: