Free Online Games   Game Tournaments   Arcade Boss Forum   Register   Log in    
Arcade Game Categories   Arcade Game Tags   Boss of the Month   Tournament Boss  
Greatest Quarterback In NFL History?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Sports Search Forum
Recent Topics
Destroyer

DMC

Parts Unknown

AB Rep: +93
Aura:

998147 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Greatest Quarterback In NFL History? Reply with quote

This has been frustrating me a bit lately. I know everyone will have their own opinions so that's why it's better to do research and break it down and go with facts on who the greatest quarterback really is. There are different era's where the game was played differently and there are quarterbacks who had the misfortune of playing a lot of their career on a bad team like Elway did. Then you have players who have been blessed with a great coach and great players around them such as Montana and Brady.

I am going to list 12 quarterbacks and I think we should eliminate one at a time and add a good reason why they are not the greatest ever. Give your opinion or point out facts about them that explains why they are not the best QB of all-time. This gives us something new to do instead of just simply discussing back and forth.

You guys can name a QB that I may have left out that deserves to be mentioned.

- Otto Graham
- Sammy Baugh
- Bart Starr
- Johnny Unitas
- Roger Staubach
- Joe Montana
- John Elway
- Peyton Manning
- Tom Brady

Let's eliminate one of these guys.

Last edited by Destroyer on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Master Of Puppets

Sleep My Friend and You Will See...

$ 114

AB Rep: +174
Aura:

5 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to have Terry Bradshaw on that list. He won like 4 Super Bowls and I think he even won the MVP back in the late 70's. Is he the greatest ever? Probably not but it is hard to argue with the success he has had. If you are going to decide who is the greatest purely on stats then he will probably fall short.

To me stats are nice but how many times have you taken your team to the BIG ONE and won it? To me that speaks way louder then the 'pretty on paper' stats.

Last edited by Master Of Puppets on Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchithepimp

New England

$ 119

AB Rep: +25
Aura:

145345 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favre far from the best ever he holds nfl records for interceptions and in complete passes
Destroyer

DMC

Parts Unknown

Aura:

998147 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the first part of Bradshaw's career, the fans hated him at times because he screwed up a lot. Yeah he won 4 Super Bowls but that was mainly because of the defense along with some of the players on offense. I didn't include Bradshaw cause I thought he had no chance in hell of being considered the best anyway. In fact, he may not even be one of the top 2 QB's of the 70's. The Bears in 2006 proved that you can get to a Super Bowl with a quarterback like Rex Grossman who is nothing special if you have great defense. I'm not saying Bradshaw wasn't a good quarterback. I know he had a great arm and I think he won 2 Super Bowl MVP's but best quarterback ever? No way. You can't have more interceptions than touchdowns.

I agree that Brett Favre should not be considered the best ever. He simply made too many mistakes to be the best ever. Should Favre be the first to be eliminated from this list. I am in favor of it.

Spartacus1843

$ 8

11875 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Favre is definitely a Hall of Fame quarterback, but yes, I do believe he should be the first eliminated, and for what it is worth, Sammy Baugh should be eliminated second. He was great for his day, but I cannot bring myself to call him one of the ten greatest quarterbacks of all time.
Destroyer

DMC

Parts Unknown

Aura:

998147 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus1843 wrote:
I think Favre is definitely a Hall of Fame quarterback, but yes, I do believe he should be the first eliminated, and for what it is worth, Sammy Baugh should be eliminated second. He was great for his day, but I cannot bring myself to call him one of the ten greatest quarterbacks of all time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1185910-the-top-10-all-time-nfl-quarterbacks/page/7

http://www.hogshaven.com/2008/3/24/135333/858

Ok back to Favre. Should Favre be the first one eliminated? I vote yes.

Last edited by Destroyer on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spartacus1843

$ 8

11875 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And? That is the writer's opinion. I am entitled to my own, and I have to say that I disagree.
Destroyer

DMC

Parts Unknown

Aura:

998147 Credits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus1843 wrote:
And? That is the writer's opinion. I am entitled to my own, and I have to say that I disagree.

What's being said about him are facts. What is your argument for him not being a top 10 all-time quarterback? You need a good reason instead of saying you don't think he is top 10.

You gotta consider how the game was played in his day. He didn't have the big stats really but he won 2 championships and changed the way the game is played.

Master Of Puppets

$ 114

Aura:

5 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of goes along with what I was saying regarding stats...they look good on paper but...

When a player, in this case a QB, takes his team on his back and takes them to the promise land, that to me defines greatness. It doesn't matter what era, conditions, circumstances. You do this and to me you deserve to be in that elite class.
Destroyer

DMC

Parts Unknown

Aura:

998147 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Of Puppets wrote:
Kind of goes along with what I was saying regarding stats...they look good on paper but...

When a player, in this case a QB, takes his team on his back and takes them to the promise land, that to me defines greatness. It doesn't matter what era, conditions, circumstances. You do this and to me you deserve to be in that elite class.

Terry Bradshaw belongs in the Hall of Fame and yes he was good and sometimes great. I don't know why stats are being brought up again. There's a lot more to it than stats when naming the best ever. Anyway, sorry MOP but Bradshaw played with one of the elite most dominant defenses of all time. He didn't have to score much to win games. He didn't need to be awesome. He was a solid QB for a great team.

Yeah he won 4 Super Bowls but so did Joe Montana and Montana was more clutch than him with better stats. Would you really say that Bradshaw is better than Montana? Afterall.....this is a "greatest QB of all-time" discussion. Not top 10 QB's.

Stats do matter but I care more about consistancy, clutch performances and wins. Bradshaw screwed up too often to be considered the best ever.

Answer this....who do you want as your Steelers QB? Roethlisberger or Bradshaw?

Also, compare Bradshaw to Peyton Manning. Bradshaw has 3,566 less pass attempts than Manning but Manning still hasn't reached Bradshaw's interception total even though Manning has played in 47 more games than Bradshaw. Elite quarterbacks don't turn over the ball this much whether it's the regular season or the playoffs.

Master Of Puppets

$ 114

Aura:

5 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey D I think you are reading way too much into my liking Bradshaw as the greatest ever. I was just throwing his name out there when you asked if there were any others that could be mentioned. I thought there might be a Steeler fan out there who could trumpet his cause as to his greatness.

Do I think he is the best of all time...Absolutely not, but I know that someone is going to just throw out a name because of his stats. I agree with what you said about consistency, clutch performances and wins.

Now that being said if you want me to throw out another name that you may or may not consider it is Anthony Calvillo. He has the most passing yards in Professional Football (78000+) Has thrown for 449 TDs and has a career passing rating of 96. He has also won 3 championships. Does the fact that he plays in the CFL as opposed to the NFL change anything in your mind?
Destroyer

DMC

Parts Unknown

Aura:

998147 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I see what you are saying now. I was mainly talking about adding someone to the list that could be a possible pick for best ever. I originally wanted this to be 10 quarterbacks only but extended it to 12. No point in throwing Bradshaw's name in there if he has no shot anyway.

As for that CFL guy you mentioned, no way in hell. This is NFL only. I don't think anybody even gives a crap about the CFL. The NFL is and always will be the real football league. Sounds like he is the Brett Favre of the CFL which at the end of the day means nothing. Unless if he has a few championships but no....NFL only.

Update: I eliminated Brett Favre. On to the next one.

I am watching the NFL network and I can't believe Steve Young was ranked 4th best of the 90's. I feel like my brain was offended. Steve Young was like the Aaron Rodgers of the 90's.

I will GLADLY give you Favre while I keep Young. Good luck in the playoffs. lol
Tenchithepimp

New England

$ 119

Aura:

145345 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Unitas was the best of his time it's hard to compare him i mean he was having 3000 yard seasons when the rules were not in favor of wide receivers like they are today he also threw a lot of picks it's very hard to say he was the greatest ever but also consider he did all this playing 12-14 games a season

Comp:2,830
ATT:5,186
Pct:54.6
Yards:40,239
Avg:7.8
TDs:290
Int:253
Rush Yards:1,777
Td:13
Destroyer

DMC

Parts Unknown

Aura:

998147 Credits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Unitas is usually ranked 1st or 2nd all-time. Joe Montana did everything it takes to be ranked the best but we can't ignore the talent around him and the head coach. Still though, he was amazing.

Who should be eliminated next and why?......

Dan Marino, Sammy Baugh, Roger Staubach, Bart Starr or Otto Graham?

Or do you think someone I didn't mention should be nominated for elimination?

Man I can't believe I forgot about Aikman when making my top 12 list. He didn't even cross my mind. lol

Marino was amazing but of course he didn't win the big one. I don't see how the greatest of all time can be a ringless QB. I do want to say one thing, Just because Favre was eliminated first doesn't mean he is the 12 best QB. It just means he's not the best ever.

Tenchithepimp

New England

$ 119

Aura:

145345 Credits

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikman's career was cut short by concussions like Steve Young. Marino definitely not the best of all time no ring is a big issue if we r talking about best regular season qb ever then maybe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Arcade Boss Games > Forum > Sports All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: